Light-O-Rama Forums

Cold weather brings lots of problems.

Jefffrompawpaw

Starting tomorrow I will take down the Halloween and begin setting up Christmas.  Michigan winters give me a dreadful feeling when I think about my lights.  I remember I lost over $500.00 in  LED Snowflakes and 2 12 ft trees because of a strong winter storm.  The Ice came first then a heavy snow, it pulled down a bunch  my display, and I had to end my show on Dec 28th.  I had a really great show I was going to debut on DEC 31 for the New Year.  We had it really good here in S.W. Michigan and made it almost snow free until that night.  Setup will begin soon and I don't even have a plan for what I will do to replace what the storm damaged/destroyed.  It's not the money but just what will look good and hold up to the elements.

I look at so many displays on YouTube and fantasize what it would be like to have a show where I could plan it without the threat of snow and Ice.

There is a reason I live in southern California. The majority of my Christmas setup will be this weekend. Forecast for Saturday has the daytime highs down to an even 80. I'll have to get the attic work done before it gets too hot up there...

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

I'm just south of you and I have more problems with vandalism then the snow. this year I added camera's to catch those little buggers

I love snow. I love the way it absorbs sound like a 3 inch thick fluffy white carpet, covering every square centimetre in sight. 

Christmas lights look much better in snow too!

Everything in my display is right against the house. It has to be for my house. The only thing at risk is my matrix, on the sloped roof, and my snowflakes and pixel circles either side of it.

Controllers are in weatherproof boxes underneath the soffits, so should be safe.

Snow hasn't been too big of an issue.  It's the wind that kills me.  Every year I want to do more props or cutouts through out the yard, then the wind hits in October reminding me whatever I do, it has to be anchored down.  I do like the snow as it has a nice reflectiveness with the lights.

You cab build your props to withstand high winds, it just takes a little planning.

My megatree, and pixel tree for example, both about 20ft in height, have stood up to 72 mph winds without issues, but I tend to over engineer things a bit, as I live  up on a hill, and we routinely get high winds...

We tend to get a fair amount of snow here in the Buffalo, NY area, but the last couple of winters have been mild.

Don't give up, you can build for the winds!

• 2 weeks later...

Good advice Greg but there is no such thing as over engineering:), nothing worse than seeing a 30 ft. mega tree laying on the ground on Dec. 23 after a wind storm. Now if you want to talk about over engineering my 30ft. mega tree has 15 guide lines (I use to fasten my rope lights to) secured to 32 inch screw in anchors. Blow ye winds High Ho, lol.

• The topic was locked