Light-O-Rama Forums

1/4 Speed Edit Not Syncing with Normal Speed

nmonkman

Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this problem or if it is on my end. I never had this problem with LOR I.

When I am sequencing and listening to it on 1/4 or 1/2 speed, it looks like my beat marks from using the tapper wizard are way off.

So I go through and make all the adjustments and then play it on normal speed to check it. Then everything is worse than it was before and it appears as though what I had was right.

I am using Windows Vista with 3ghz dual core and 2gb of RAM so I don't think it is a PC issue. I am using LOR version 2.0.14

Anyone else experience this and/or have any ideas?

Neil M

Sure, Dan.

something else that I just noticed. It seems to happen when I switch the play range from "full sequence" to "visible window".

I just checked the sequence and fixed an off cue, then when I tried to check it using visible screen it was off again.

WEIRD!

I'll send that right away

Neil

George Simmons wrote:

Is it even possible to listen at 1/4 speed?

I do it all the time to line up specific points in the song that you would otherwise miss at normal speed.

Sometimes it gets real distorted, but if you just keep clicking it will sound better. Its a great tool for me and it is really the only way to get accurate or near perfect syncronization sometimes.

Neil M

1/4 speed has never worked for me, though I have only tried it a handful of times. No issues with 1/2 speed.

1/4 speed has never uttered a sound for me either. I've tried it with mp3 files and also wave files in both software versions. What am I missing?

George Simmons

Neil M, its time for you to tell everyone what kind of computer and audio card you have that makes your 1/4 speed work!!

On my computer with a older Sound Blaster, only 1/2 speed plays. Same on the one with a RealTek onboard audio system. Both are Windows XP with 1GB of RAM. I note that yours has Vista and 2GB, but what audio system??

JonB

JonB256 wrote:

Neil M, its time for you to tell everyone what kind of computer and audio card you have that makes your 1/4 speed work!!

On my computer with a older Sound Blaster, only 1/2 speed plays. Same on the one with a RealTek onboard audio system. Both are Windows XP with 1GB of RAM. I note that yours has Vista and 2GB, but what audio system??

JonB

Ditto. 1/4 audio has never worked for me in S2. 1/2 works fine.

The computer is a Gateway GT5428 and the only thing I can find under device manager for sound is:

SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

I hope that helps.

Below is the reponse I got from Brian at LOR Support site on my original reason for this post. This should solve the problem.

I must have forgotten to encode this file.

Hi Neil,

We checked your MP3 file and it did not work well when playing it visible screen vs full sequence. We re-encoded the MP3 file using Audacity and it was then okay. (File attached)

Did re-encoding the file enable sound at 1/4 speed? I've used Audacity to encode all my audio sequencing files and I've still never heard any sound at 1/4 speed.

George Simmons

George Simmons wrote:

Did re-encoding the file enable sound at 1/4 speed? I've used Audacity to encode all my audio sequencing files and I've still never heard any sound at 1/4 speed.

George Simmons

No, my S2 sequence has been through Audacity many times independent of this issue. I know using Audacity to encode does not fix the 1/4 speed no sound issue for S2.

JimCanfield wrote:

re-encode? What does that mean?

MP3 files with variable bit rates (VBR) cause problems with the sequencer. Playing visible screen will be out of sync from when you play the entire sequence. If you sequence a VBR MP3 using visible screen and then play the entire sequence, the beats will not line up with the music anymore. It get progressively worse the longer the song plays.

Everything you use with LOR should be constant bit rate (CBR) or WAV format as these do not encounter this issue. Just google audacity (free software.) Open your MP3 in that program and save the song as a new MP3 (which will be CBR) or as a WAV.

JimCanfield wrote:

Hmmm, I just finished my 2nd song and have not encountered that problem yet. So all I have to do is play my song in Audacity then save it.

You don't even have to play it. Just open and save it.

If you have not noticed any out of sync problems with playing the full sequence vs. the visible screen, the MP3s you are using are CBR. It's just a good habit to run MP3 through audacity so the one time you do get a VBR mp3, you don't lose all that sequencing due to out of sync issues.

JimCanfield wrote:

re-encode? What does that mean?

MP3 Files are compressed audo files. Dpending on how they are compressed dictates how the song will perform in different software applications.

When you play an MP3 with your media player it un-compresses the file as it plays. With VBR files you would not notice that it is processing the file at a variable rate because you are not watching it on a time line.

With LOR you have to have a file that is at a constant bit rateso that it plays the same every time or is un-compressed at the same rate every time.

The MP3 I was using was formatted at 128 kps but there was obviously a glitch in it somewhere that was throwing it off. "re"-encoding or compressing the file solved the problem.

I agree that wav files are better, they just take up more space and are harder to transfer back and forth on my network. You see I do all my sequencing in the house and then transfer the data to my PC in the garage where all my controllers are at.

PS I AGREE WITH Michael Farney:

ENCODE EVERY FILE EVEN IF IT SAYS IT ALREADY IS FORMATTED FOR 128kps. THIS POST IS PROOF POSITIVE NOT TO TRUST SOMEONE ELSES FORMATTING, WHICH IS WHAT I DID.

Neil