Light-O-Rama Forums

Having an odd audio problem

Shamusseven

I am running into a wired problem I am running into.  I have my pc set up to a AV receiver and speakers. I have 9 Halloween sequences. Problem is with 1 of the files. It is baffling to me but one song you can barely hear.   All others are great but one.  During playback on the pc speakers it sounds the same as the other 8 but not when I run it thru the receiver.   I'm searching my head.   Any ideas?  

I may need to do that as a few of my songs are a touch louder than others but this particular song is different. Muffled and extremely low . And again it sounds perfect via the laptop speakers.   Does that sound like something mp3gain would fix?   

Won't hurt to give it a shot. If that doesn't work then get another copy of the song as there may be something in the encoding.

Something else that could be happening with the one song If you're using an AV receiver. The computer could be trying to output Dolby or DTS which can switch the receiver that isn't supported with the speaker's you have set up. This might be the case if the song was fine on the computer speakers. (Edit) After rereading your original post I more convinced of this. Force the receiver into stereo mode or change the MP3 to one that doesn't have the encoding

Edited by Ebuechner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

Force the receiver into stereo mode 

Good point.  I use an AV receiver and have it set to stereo.  The DTS,  Dolby,  5.1 etc... Turn off 

Another possibility is that the source music is not really stereo, but actually dual mono (in other words, the same sound on both channels).  If the cabling to the AV receiver is reversing the phase on one of the channels, and it is mixing them, the result is almost nothing.  Smart AV systems sometimes are too smart and don't do what you really want.  Sometimes you need to make it dumb.

That was it.  Turned my AV to music instead of movie and it's all fixed.  I am trying to use MP3 gain t level out some of my other songs.  Since I do not see where I can save the adjustment in mp3gain, how does it work/save the new settings.   And once adjusted, do I have to reset the media file on the sequence?  

Most people will use audacity to set the volume levels of all their songs to be equal. You shouldn't have to reset the media file in the sequence after you do this unless you save the file in a different name. If you're modifying these MP3s make sure you do it on the MP3 you're using for your sequence if you have it in more than one place on the computer

Audacity is fine if you only have a couple of songs that you want to adjust as it only does one track at a time. However, what if you have a folder of 100 songs? MP3 Gain can do the entire folder at the same time.

If there is a way to do more than one track at a time in Audaciity please tell me how as I don't know it.

Edited by Mr. P

1 hour ago, Shamusseven said:

That was it.  Turned my AV to music instead of movie and it's all fixed.  I am trying to use MP3 gain t level out some of my other songs.  Since I do not see where I can save the adjustment in mp3gain, how does it work/save the new settings.   And once adjusted, do I have to reset the media file on the sequence?  

Load MP3Gain... Drag the folder with your MP3 files onto MP3Gain Path\File window.

Leave the default target normal volume to 89.0

Select Modify Gain from the menu and then apply track gain... It will change them all on the fly.

Make sure to have them backed up before you do this just in case. I have done tons of songs and never had an issue.

Enjoy your music all set to the same volume level :)

Edited by gsmith37064