Light-O-Rama Forums

FOG Machine with your LOR system

Septon

Hey Guys,  I came across this video, while trying to find a way to make my fog machine (a cheap one) work more with out me having to press the button all the time.

Anyone have any insight on this?  I plan on taking my fog machine apart now to try this, but I am not that mechanically inclined... but this would BE SO PERFECT if I can control my fog machine with LOR.

Thoughts

There was a vendor selling a relay with everything you needed to hook it up to an AC controller. It basically involved taking your old controller apart and soldiering a wire from the kit to it. After doing this it allowed you to continue to use the fog machine button like normal or have the relay control it. Took me about 10 minutes to hook up.

I can't remember where I got it from but do a search for "Fog Timer Relay" and I'm sure you will find something.

Eric

• Like 1

There are tons of ways to do this, but all basically say to do the same thing.   Just depends on how YOU want to do it and what's comfortable for you.

It's really a very simple process, it just looks and sounds harder than it really is.

58 minutes ago, Orville said:

There are tons of ways to do this, but all basically say to do the same thing.   Just depends on how YOU want to do it and what's comfortable for you.

It's really a very simple process, it just looks and sounds harder than it really is.

I am looking for  a permanent solution. I want to hard wire it so it now only works with LOR.  So I need to figure out how to do the RELAY part I guess?

I use a homebuilt relay to trigger my fog machines. The relay has been rock solid, the fog machines seem to always be heating up when I need them to trigger! That's what you get with the cheaper machines. If I recall correctly, purchasing all the parts was maybe $25 per machine, and it took me all of 10 minutes to wire the controller feed so the relay would control the fog. Once you have the relay wired, you program a LOR channel to be either on or off. On makes fog, off doesn't!

With the relays I used, I discovered that with other dimmer packs I had to add to the load so the relays wouldn't be constantly triggered "on," but the LOR controllers didn't need that addition.

• Like 1

First off, perhaps a tripod is in their future.. I feel better now that I took my sea sick pills.  ha ha.. 

I just modified a machine that I got from China.  Works great..  Here is a little short write up about it.  Not a how to, just a what.  http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?44320-Modified-Fog-Machine

two years ago I modified one of the silver ones in your video with a timer and it works great still. They are pretty easy to do. 

Edited by plasmadrive

Took me a few weeks to research this, only to spend 10 mins with the first response I got.  The relay is really simple, and cheap.  I actually found a couple relays  I had laying around in the garage, and a couple I found in a "trash" pile at work.  Biggest issue I have is that the fog machines only last a couple seasons.  They always clog up as they sit over the off seasons, no matter how much I try to clean them before storage. It is one reason I stick to cheap foggers.  Had to toss too many higher end foggers in the trash.  You can find cheap ones for $25 at Walmart.

Edited by Dcroc

The easiest way I have found to do this is to buy a Fog Machine that has DMX built in. THey are a bit more expensive, but no extra work, and Depending on the model, some have Ice Chambers built in to Cool the Fog as most of these are a hot Fog... Nothing Beats the Old Dry Ice tho, and those can be extremely Cheap to build.

I have yet to find a DMX fogger that was only a "bit more expensive".  They are costly. It's also very easy to build a cooling chamber for the fog.  I made one out of a cheap cooler.  I do like the dry ice idea, but can never find a place that sells it.

Edited by Dcroc

I bought this one on Ebay a long time ago for 300..00  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antari-ICE-101-Low-Lying-Ice-Fog-Machine-/272053189288?hash=item3f57a23aa8:g:88YAAOSwt6ZWUUZU   However ,its listing for around 750. now. 

and if you really have the $$...https://www.amazon.com/Chauvet-Lighting-NimbusJr-Dry-Fogger/dp/B00BEBE5OG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1476046748&sr=8-5&keywords=dry+ice+fog+machine  and thats the Junior Model. The Full sells for 1K

as far as where to buy Dry Ice. Currently I know Safeway sells it (not sure if you have one of those there) or any ICE Company should also carry it. I made a very inexpensive Dry Ice Fogger years ago out of an old Metal Barrel. Bought one of those Horse trough heaters that is supposed to heat the water, not just keep it from freezing. Setup a basket inside (one of those hanging Metal Fruit Basket types)  Added a Small Battery Operated Fan on the top,  I think I spent maybe 70.00. :D

Winn Dixie sells dry ice as well if you have one in your region.  These are mostly "southern based stores", so may not find them past the Mason-Dixon line.

• 2 weeks later...

I made my own relay... $20 and now I can use all the cheap ones that sell at walmart.  I will buy a few this year after the holiday.  But it was kind of easy after I figured out how.  I simply used a base, wired the PRESSEL switch to the base, and a 24AC power adapter to the base as well.  And now I have it configured to my LOR system's 16 Channel power unit.

A lot easier than I thought.  Next year I will have 3 running in tandom, so I really can always have fog coming all the time, constant.  After Halloween I ussually can see and get these things for $20-30.