Light-O-Rama Forums

Audio Output from Video Projection File

sasmuse

Hello,

First, thanks for all the help and information I've been able to tap as I work to add video projection to this year's display. Everything is working ok, except where the audio output is coming from. 

For songs that don't use video, the audio comes from the show PC which is where I want it to come from. However, for songs containing video, the audio track is part of the video.  How do I tell LOR to use the show PC for the audio output? I can't find any settings for this.  Please let me know.

Thanks,

Sally

when you open your sequence in the sequence editor go to edit  click on media file now add the video with the music to the sequence you want the video to play in

34 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

when you open your sequence in the sequence editor go to edit  click on media file now add the video with the music to the sequence you want the video to play in

From the way I am understanding it they have the video in the sequence but they don't want the audio that is associated with the video to play. They want the audio that is in the sequence to play so some how they want to mute or remove the audio from the video.

I think Windows Movie Maker can delete the audio track from a video and then you can add the modified video back into your sequence.

8 hours ago, sasmuse said:

Hello,

First, thanks for all the help and information I've been able to tap as I work to add video projection to this year's display. Everything is working ok, except where the audio output is coming from. 

For songs that don't use video, the audio comes from the show PC which is where I want it to come from. However, for songs containing video, the audio track is part of the video.  How do I tell LOR to use the show PC for the audio output? I can't find any settings for this.  Please let me know.

Thanks,

Sally

Hello Sally,

I know exactly what you mean, and your right, except we don't tell LOR but rather the PC,,, here's how to fix it:

got to control panel>sound>you will have at least 2 options, select your pc speakers. if I recall, you will need to disable the other option (double click it, disable).

(windows 10 simply type sound and it will take you there)

Need more help let me know

8 hours ago, sasmuse said:

Yes the audio track is part of the video. It is still an audio track the same as if it did not contain any video. While you are sequencing the song, can you hear the audio and see the video in a window? If yes then all is good.

The sound will play exactly like a audio song without video. In my case I use a whole house transmitter, the audio plug from it plugs into the headphone jack of my show pc. What ever audio plays on the show pc will then play through the FM transmitter to a stereo or whatever you use for sound. Nothing new has happened the media file you are playing just happens to contain video.

The best thing to do would be to transfer the media file (your video/audio file) and the sequence to your show pc, hook up the projector and give it a go. Remember to put the media file in the LOR Audio directory. It's possible Sequence Editor may not find the audio/video file the first time you run it, if need be reload the media file once it is in your show pc.

Hope that makes sense.

Alan...

22 minutes ago, default said:

Yes the audio track is part of the video. It is still an audio track the same as if it did not contain any video. While you are sequencing the song, can you hear the audio and see the video in a window? If yes then all is good.

The sound will play exactly like a audio song without video.

When your PC is plugged into HDMI and a projector, audio will play through the projector unless you disable the audio card and revert to the default setting that is your PC speakers. WITHOUT being plugged in to a projector it will play as you described.

Ahhh... I didn't think about HDMI, that's why I used the audio jack explanation. Thanks for mentioning that. My show pc is an old notebook held together with duct tape and bailing wire, probably built before HDMI was even thought of. :P

Alan...

Thanks for all the helpful advice. However...it seems that I'm going to have to use the audio off the projector. Even though I don't have a video for every song, I'm going to need to create dummy files so that the projector doesn't go to sleep in the middle of my show.

I'm planning on attaching my audio to the video files and then attach my FM transmitter to the audio out of the projector. That way the audio files are coming from one place, I don't have to worry about redirecting anything and the projector will stay "awake".

Does that sound like a workable plan?  Have I forgotten anything?

Thanks!

I'll be doing Video Projection this year as well. If you want the sound to still go through the computer use a VGA cable and set it up for dual display. That is what I'm doing and it works well. 

14 hours ago, sasmuse said:

Thanks for all the helpful advice. However...it seems that I'm going to have to use the audio off the projector. Even though I don't have a video for every song, I'm going to need to create dummy files so that the projector doesn't go to sleep in the middle of my show.

I'm planning on attaching my audio to the video files and then attach my FM transmitter to the audio out of the projector. That way the audio files are coming from one place, I don't have to worry about redirecting anything and the projector will stay "awake".

Does that sound like a workable plan?  Have I forgotten anything?

Thanks!

You can use your dummy file as a clean up sequence, your projector won't sleep . 

If you want I can send you a 30 sec link on how to have your sound come from your pc and not your projector- super easy. 

Answers above are really confusing.

Some are incorrect. You cannot have a separate audio file and a video file. Only a video file, which contains the audio.

Go to the little speaker in the task bar, normally the bottom right corner, you may need to click an arrow to bring it up. Right click the speaker and open playback devices, or audio devices. You will see your HDMI port as the current default device. Select either speakers or headphones (Normally headphones on a laptop or the front output of a PC. The rear output on a PC is usually speakers). Click set default, and it should work. You may need to restart.

Don't know what was so confusing,,,,,,,but,

Yes, right clicking the speaker icon and selecting playback devices will take you to the same place I mentioned,

To do it ELF way you will need your pc and projector connected, then just set the PC speakers option as default.  I would still suggest disabling the Digital Display Audio option.

Either way or both, it is basically the same procedure and both very easy to do.

I've built quite a few custom PCs for single-use like music systems security systems and streaming for online radio stations. And I found that if the computer has multiple audio outputs windows will have a mind of its own where the audio goes. I had everything set correct and then I get a phone call after Windows does an update or there was another change like a driver update. I've always found the best course of action is to disable ALL audio outputs that your not going  to use. Even if you use the projector audio go in and disabled the other audio outputs for peace of mind. Just backing up what saxon was telling you.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2016 at 10:54 AM, saxon said:

You can use your dummy file as a clean up sequence, your projector won't sleep . 

If you want I can send you a 30 sec link on how to have your sound come from your pc and not your projector- super easy. 

That would be very helpful.  Thank you!