Light-O-Rama Forums

need help moving controller and channels

melmark4

Need some help on changing the order of my controllers and channels.  Controller number one  controls all of the red lights. Controller 2 controls all the blue lights. Controller 3 and 4 handle green and white and misc.  All four controllers are on one side of the house. I would like to move controller number one (red) to the other side of the house. I would leave red 1.1 thru 1.8 on controller one but take off 1.9 thru 1.16 and replace them with Blue controller 2.1 thru 2.8   Then red 1.9 thru 1.16 would go over to the blue controller #2.

I have configured a new 64 channel configuration with these changes. Am I right that all I need to do is import this new configuration into my sequences or do I also need to do something with the controllers themselves? Appreciate  all the help and questions coming my way.  

Here is a youtube clip of my latest seq. Hope it gives you a better idea of what I want to do. I want to move half of the blue to the right and half the red to the left.

https://youtu.be/2drsGm58q8Q

Correct.  Once you have the new configuration perfect in one sequence, export the configuration.  Then on all your other sequences, import the new configuration, and save the revised sequence.  As usual, I recommend saving the files with a new filename, so if there is an issue, you can go back to the previous version.

When importing it is important to understand what is going to happen.

Say your current sequence is 10 lines.  You create a new set of channels and it is 20 lines.  When you import the new 20 lines, the original 10 are still there including whatever you sequenced.  If the top channels are the same, good. If not, then they will be sequenced to whatever the original 10 lines were.

So, if you want to add channels as you purchase new controllers...just add them to the bottom and that will allow you to continue to use your old sequences without much work.

Import/export is a very useful tool. 

This is a perfect example of why I recommend tracks.

http://www.lorfaq.com/faqs/software-questions/sequence-editor/41-tracks-what-they-are-and-how-they-can-benefit-you.html

Personally, I would have left the original configuration in place, added new controllers to your Master Track, then copy to and edit the order in a second track.

With this method your events would still be on the old channels, and you'd just copy/paste them to the new ones. With your current set up, I'm not sure how well the imports will work. Could work out just fine, but there is a chance it will not go as planned.

One more Question.. I just realized that controller #1 was linked to the show computer and then daisy chained to controller #2. I would have to run two cables from the other side of the house unless I make controller #1 the last controller or #4. Controller #2 would then be connected to the show computer and become #1 and so forth. Do I need to do anything in the 'Hardware Utility' or will the software pick up the changes? Thanks again in advance.

Later in Life,

Mark 

You do not need to change controller ID # as you can connect the controllers in any order you want. In other words you don't have to go Computer > #1 > #2 > #3 and so on, you can connect them in any order that is convenient.

• Like 1