Light-O-Rama Forums

If you're looking for a new computer...

Sctiger

I just saw on Brad's deals where you can get 45% off refurbished Dell laptops and desktops with free shipping. I thought I'd pass along the info. I ordered a desktop for $58 that will hopefully do better than my current desktop lol. Fingers crossed. My daughter "built" my current one in her college class. I don't have the heart to tell her all of the issues I'm having with it. Hopefully she won't notice! haha! 

• Like 1

Just received our computer today and it looks brand new. Even came with a USB keyboard and mouse. Crazy good deal for $58 delivered! Thanks again SCTiger!!!

• Like 1

Thanks...I've been looking the past few days at refurbished decktops.  Still running XP on my current PC and don't like change so the plus of an older refurbished, it being able  to have Windows 7 on it.  You can make W7 look like XP...not the case wityh W10...too much of a change I understand.

15 minutes ago, mpageler said:

Thanks...I've been looking the past few days at refurbished decktops.  Still running XP on my current PC and don't like change so the plus of an older refurbished, it being able  to have Windows 7 on it.  You can make W7 look like XP...not the case wityh W10...too much of a change I understand.

Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate and I think 10 Pro have a Windows XP compatibility mode. The Windows 7 one can look and act identical, the Windows 10 one acts like it but may not look similar.

Why not try Windows 10? It is actually really good, and easier to use than XP.

2 hours ago, JeffF said:

Just received our computer today and it looks brand new. Even came with a USB keyboard and mouse. Crazy good deal for $58 delivered! Thanks again SCTiger!!!

Mine was supposed to be delivered today too but I'm in Biloxi! After this trip, $58 is sounding even better! lol Glad to hear it worked out!

Did a few search on bradsdeals and really didn't find anything, other than a listing for "dell outlet". I've been on both their outlet and auction sites and they aren't giving PCs away yet.

Will have to do some research to see if W10 can be made to look like XP which would get you into a little newer refurbished machine.

2 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

So when getting a new computer, should we be looking at 32 bit or 64 bit for the LOR activity?

Get a 64 as a 32 is limited to the amount of ram you can use.

For a show computer, you really don't need much, so you can look for inexpensive (which likely means 32 bit).  My show computer is a many years old HP desktop running Windows XP.  For sequencing (especially with LOTS of channels), a better computer is required.  I would recommend a 64 bit computer and a good video card.

I also recommend getting the best computer you can afford with 64 bit and a good video card, especially if you play or plan to add video during your show.

48 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

I also recommend getting the best computer you can afford with 64 bit and a good video card, especially if you play or plan to add video during your show.

Good point about running video.  I had not thought about video since I don't use it.  My previous statement stands about not needing much for a show computer PROVIDED you are not running video.  If you are using video, follow B.Y.R.G.'s advise.  And for sequencing, you do need a fairly decent computer with a good video card.  Now how do I justify a new Alienware?

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Good point about running video.  I had not thought about video since I don't use it.  My previous statement stands about not needing much for a show computer PROVIDED you are not running video.  If you are using video, follow B.Y.R.G.'s advise.  And for sequencing, you do need a fairly decent computer with a good video card.  Now how do I justify a new Alienware?

I added video to the show this year and during testing found out my original show computer couldn't play the video smoothly even without the show running.  It wasn't a problem running the show by itself and the computer is at least 7-8 years old.  So now I'm going to be running the show from my fairly new laptop with the video playing nice and smooth.  Gotta love Moore's law! 

• The topic was locked