Light-O-Rama Forums

Total noob here, HELP!

Chris Cringle

2 hours ago, bisquit476 said:

Ok Chris, step back from the ledge, at first this stuff seems daunting....

Ok first off, I want to thank everyone for their help so far.  You guys are a great bunch here.  

Next, I want to clear up that the problem is only when attempting to create a NEW sequence and running Beat Wizard.  

When loading a pre made sequence, I have no problem manually linking the audio to the .lms file and saving it.  

When loading a new audio file, the music will be there but Beat Wizard never runs and it shows no timing.  

Hopefully, i'm doing a better job of explaining the problem...thanks again for all of the help and suggestions so far.  

Also, every time I open Sequence Editor, I get a message that pops up that says, "Cannot find file or folder \Sequences\"

I've tried in vain to duplicate your issue and I haven't been able to.  No matter what settings I try, including having the beat wizard selected on creating a new musical file has given me no error issues whatsoever.  So I'm thinking it's how you initially installed your software suite.

Have you run the LOR VERIFIER program to verify your software is looking in the correct folders for Audio and Sequences?

Here is the main thing to be looking for when the verifier runs {this is copied and pasted from MY setup}, your results and file paths will probably be totally different.  This mis copied specifically from the very top portion of the LOR Verifier.

Registry: Shared
    AppPath = C:\Program Files\Light-O-Rama\
    UserDataPath = C:\LOR\
    AudioPath = C:\LOR\Audio\
    NonAudioPath = C:\LOR\Sequences\

------- End of LOR Verifier Snippet from my results -----------

Red info = DEFAULT LOR setting

Blue info = MY personalized, CUSTOM settings where I want LOR to look for and save my sequences and looks for the Audio{MP3} files I'm using.

The default you don't need to worry about, but the other 3 are where the software looks for Audio and Sequence files, as well as being the default path for user files{I have several subfolders under my sequences and audio folders}, but the AudioPath and NonAudioPath are the main ones for finding, loading and creating sequence files.

Don't know if this could be your issue, but it's the only thing I could come up with when trying to recreate the error and issue you're having.

I really think it's going to be a settings issue and not the beat wizard tool that's the issue here.

If you can walk us through EXACTLY what you do and select as your create a new musical sequence.we may be able to define the help you need to get this working properly on your system and find out what is actually causing it to do this. {I use Windows 7 as well.}

You might want to uninstall S4 completely and re-install. You should not lose any of your data, but back up your audio and sequence files first. 

Install a fresh download of S4 and use the defaults When you open SE for the first time it should ask for the location of your sequences. Tell it where they are or use the defaults and then make sure the audio and sequence files are in that location.

If that does not work you might consider opening a help ticket.

Where the heck did the edit button get off too?  Needed to make a correct and no edit button to do so!   This statement " This mis copied specifically from the very top portion of the LOR Verifier." in my above post SHOULD have read: "This was copied specifically from the very top portion of the LOR Verifier."

the mis in red was incorrect, the purple was in the edited senetence is correct.

I have tried to uninstall /reinstall even before I opened this thread, but late last night I did uninstall it again.  I then ran a registry cleaner and cleaned up some junk on my computer.  I will try a fresh install of S4 later today.  

Both times that I installed the software before, I don't recall it asking where I wanted it to look for the location of my sequences.   I will pay more attention to it this time for sure.  

I have not yet run the verifier but I will after I reinstall.  I have also been reading about LORpost.exe  Is this something that might help to set the correct folders?  

Thanks again for all of the help.  It really means a lot!  

3 hours ago, Chris Cringle said:

Ok first off, I want to thank everyone for their help so far.  You guys are a great bunch here.  

Next, I want to clear up that the problem is only when attempting to create a NEW sequence and running Beat Wizard.  

When loading a pre made sequence, I have no problem manually linking the audio to the .lms file and saving it.  

When loading a new audio file, the music will be there but Beat Wizard never runs and it shows no timing.  

Hopefully, i'm doing a better job of explaining the problem...thanks again for all of the help and suggestions so far.  

Just reread and what I bolded and highlighted in red caught my attention.

So now, are you setting the defaults in the SE under Preferences so that you have the Beat Wizard open when you create the sequence?

That is does the Beat Wizard window pop up and show you the Beat Wizard options so you can select what you want it do, then let you play the audio file and get your timings?

Or does the Beat Wizard pop up window just never open at all, if so, are you sure you're  selecting New Musical Sequence, if Animation is selected, the BW won't open at all, since there's no audio file to work with, as animation sequences are just that silent sequences used for fillers or possibly background effects.

Still thinking this may be a settings issue you have set up in the SE.

14 minutes ago, Chris Cringle said:

I have tried to uninstall /reinstall even before I opened this thread, but late last night I did uninstall it again.  I then ran a registry cleaner and cleaned up some junk on my computer.  I will try a fresh install of S4 later today.  

Both times that I installed the software before, I don't recall it asking where I wanted it to look for the location of my sequences.   I will pay more attention to it this time for sure.  

I have not yet run the verifier but I will after I reinstall.  I have also been reading about LORpost.exe  Is this something that might help to set the correct folders?  

Thanks again for all of the help.  It really means a lot!  

Yes, LORPOST is the program that will allow you to reconfigure where you want the LightORama software to place your working folders or change them to whatever you want if you used the default folders and wish to change them to ones you prefer.

Ok Chris, you may have a weird computer like mine. I have a winVista machine that the beat wizard does not work on. Bob (the software guy) and I worked on it for about 3 days until he noticed some goofy thing with the audio file. Long story short, it's something the computer does with that audio file that the beat wizard doesn't like. Since I wasn't buying a new computer at that time, I just quit trying to use the beat wizard. You may try running the audio files through audacity, that may help. Sorry, I can't remember if that worked for me on the Vista machine. I am having weird stuff happen on my win7 machine though, like SE freezing up after playing a sequence to the point of having to close the SE to get it to do anything. I've resaved the sequence with the same audio file and it now works, stray electrons fighting each other I guess, lol

I was thinking that i was very close to getting somewhere by running lorpost.exe and letting the software create its own folder where it wants to store audio and sequence files.  Affter lorpost ran this is what came up...

LOR issue with LORPOST.PNG

UPDATE:  ALL IS FIXED!  

Ok, so here it is in case anyone else ever runs into this issue.  At no point during installation did the installation wizard ask where i wanted to save my sequences or audio.  It never set these files up for whatever reason.  

Running lorpost.exe using instructions i found here http://www.lorfaq.com/faqs/general-faq/29-how-to-reset-your-default-lor-data-directory.html  asked me where i wanted to store these files.  I selected my documents file and it did the rest.  I loaded my mp3 files along with my already built sequences and all systems go.  I opened Sequence Editor and did NOT get a  "cannot find \Sequences\ file or folder" error message like i was before.  I selected my audio file and ran Beat Wizard and the timings were there!   

Thank you all for your suggestions and help along the way.  It has been very much appreciated!  

Now if only i can figure out how to take a premade sequence from 10,000 channels and convert it to my measly 16 channels, then i will be alright! lol

On a side note, if anyone has any pre-made 16 channel Halloween sequences that they would be willing to share, i would be eternally grateful!  Thanks again everyone!  

Glad you were able to get your issues fixed Chris.   I knew it had to be something in the set up causing this.   Very odd that the LOR suite when first ran did not ask you where you wanted to store your files.  That in itself is very unusual.  

Even stranger you got that permission error.  Do you know what caused that and how did you fix it?   I'm sure if someone else encounters that, they'd like to know what you did to get LORPost to run.

6 minutes ago, Orville said:

Glad you were able to get your issues fixed Chris.   I knew it had to be something in the set up causing this.   Very odd that the LOR suite when first ran did not ask you where you wanted to store your files.  That in itself is very unusual.  

Even stranger you got that permission error.  Do you know what caused that and how did you fix it?   I'm sure if someone else encounters that, they'd like to know what you did to get LORPost to run.

Thanks Orville.  I find it very strange too.  

That permission error came after running lorpost and letting the software choose the save location.  

I ran lorpost again, only this time i chose the save location and it worked without issue.  

On 9/17/2016 at 0:36 AM, Chris Cringle said:

Thanks Orville.  I find it very strange too.  

That permission error came after running lorpost and letting the software choose the save location.  

I ran lorpost again, only this time i chose the save location and it worked without issue.  

Now that's just as strange as your first install.    

I ran LORPost and never got that error when I forgot to change my setup when I put it on a new compute.  I had to run the LORPost to set my directories to the same ones I use on each computer I have, this is for backup purposes and being able to sequence while the main show computer is running shows.

I forgot the change the info one time and when it ran, it just  set and used the defaults, no problems.    

So I do find it very strange that you encountered some of these oddball issues using LORPost and on a complete re-install of the LOR Suite software.

Yes it seems to be a goofy setting on my computer or some other issue on my system.   I'm glad that it's all sorted now though.  

Thanks again for all of the help and comments from everyone.