Light-O-Rama Forums

Controlling 170+ pixels with lor help

Minh Tuan

I just received my ws2811 icicle with 325 nodes on a string. Im using a pixlite 16 board which can do 340 pixels per port. I'm using LOR SE & PE to try and control the entire string but it only lets me do 170 pixels out of 325 nodes. (510) channels. Is there a way i can control the entire string while having it plugged into 1 port of the pixlite using lor?

There is no such limitation in LOR.  LOR will happily let you control a string of almost any length.  The only limitation to 170 RGB channels is a single DMX universe can only have 512 total channels - which is 170 RGB channels (with channels 511 & 512 unused).  That is a limitation of the DMX standard (E1.11 if you care to look it up).  Your 325 nodes would presumably use most of two DMX universes.  LOR does not know or care what the physical arrangement of the controller board ports your pixels are plugged into.  All it knows is for example, that these 170 pixels are in DMX universe 1 and those 170 pixels are in DMX universe 2, etc.  What controller card or cards are in use, and how the channels are arranged on a controller card does not matter in any way, shape, or form to LOR.

BTW, the longest string I have ever tested on a single string was 500 pixels, and it worked (which was just shy of three universes). 

2 minutes ago, Minh Tuan said:

So how would i set up to have 325 pixels on 1 output? How do i get 2 universes into 1 string?

Again.  LOR could not care less what the physical arrangement is.  All it cares about is what pixel is what DMX universe and channel.  It does not know or care if your 325 pixels are using one physical output from one controller card, or several outputs of a single controller card, or even several outputs from different controller cards.

As far as how you set up the Pixlite, I don't know as I don't use that product line.

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Again.  LOR could not care less what the physical arrangement is.  All it cares about is what pixel is what DMX universe and channel.  It does not know or care if your 325 pixels are using one physical output from one controller card, or several outputs of a single controller card, or even several outputs from different controller cards.

As far as how you set up the Pixlite, I don't know as I don't use that product line.

3 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

You set up the string length on your controller  check the manual for your controller .

I have setup the pixlite to run on max pixel. 340. set the output port with the universe 1 and channel 1. Lor SE same aswell. max i can do is 170 in universe 1 and universe 2 the rest of the channel on the icicle

Some controllers will let you span universes in a single pixel and some can not.  The SanDevices controllers that I use will not allow you to have have a single pixel span two universes as you have shown here.  So in my case, channels 511 & 512 would not be used.  I don't know if the Pixlite will or not.  As you can see however, LOR does allow that.

The visualiser may give you problems when trying to add it into there. I would cut it in half and have it as two sets of icicles, on different universes, but put the universes next to each other in LOR, so programming is no different. The only disadvantage is it uses another output and data wire.

9 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Some controllers will let you span universes in a single pixel and some can not.  The SanDevices controllers that I use will not allow you to have have a single pixel span two universes as you have shown here.  So in my case, channels 511 & 512 would not be used.  I don't know if the Pixlite will or not.  As you can see however, LOR does allow that.

I was thinking of that but cutting it in half would be my last option. Was trying to see if i can control it as 1 string first

Yes, you should be able to run it as a single string using only one output of your Pixlite 16.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Minh Tuan well you can run one 340 pixel string on your controller so tell me. How are you running the string in your layout  gutters ?  Bushes ? How many props ? your going to use 2 universe (510) channels each universe

it will be on the gutters. i have about 2 full string of icicles, for now, testing purposes it will be on universe 1 channel 1. i have heaps of other props thats under 170 pixels so they work fine. Its just the icicles. In the pixlite 16 testing hardware, im able to turn on the entire string without issues at all. its just that when i have it on lor, 170 pixels lights up only

Do you have controller setup in  Network Preferances ?    I assume yes.  Ok now got sequence editor.   Open your sequence.  In channels on left side right click on a channel  pop up menu will open ,select  insert device above or below either one add device pop up will open . Select Device.  DMX universe.   check add as group .  DMX universe settings select universe 1.  RGB Channels.  170 pixels  click ok.   Now in the channel column  it should say +DMX 1. Click on the+ sign and you should see 510 channels.     Repeat this process again only this time select. Universe 2 and you will add another 510 channels as universe 2.  Hope this helps.