Light-O-Rama Forums

Stereo Receiver WITHOUT sleep mode

gsmith37064

Does anyone know a cheap receiver that does not have a sleep mode built in? The one i have now to run my show will power itself off after 30mins of inactivity.

Which means i need to remember to turn it back on each day.

+1 for Mr. P.

I'm using a receiver I purchased new back in the early 90s. Something that would be found at pawn shops. :)

I go to closeout stores or better yet, THRIFT STORES, got several radios, like old boom boxes for $5-$10, I've never paid over $10 for a radio to use as a receiver or I may use an old set of powered amplified speakers direct from an output of an MP3 Director unit.  Just have to be sure those powered speakers are weatherproofed in some manner, along with their power supply.  Or I run speakers directly from my computer running the show using a Y audio cable that splits the signal to go to two separate stereo items.  I actually use 2 Y cables in my set up, once connects my outdoor speakers to the amplifier inside the house that connects to my computer, the second part of that Y cable connects the interior speakers so I can turn them on to hear what's playing outside.  The second Y cable goes to the audio output jack of my computer, one side of it goes to the FM transmitter, the other side feeds to the second Y cable that feeds the outdoor and indoor speakers.

Has worked great for going on 3 years with this setup.  

My first couple of years I just plugged the FM transmitter and Amped speakers via one Y cable in to my DC-MP3 Director audio output jack.

Now if I could just find an OLD, and I mean OLD, small portable hand held AM/FM radio with a built in speaker I could modify and install in my G scale Christmas train, I could have the train playing music from the FM transmitter.   Thus far, been unsuccessful in finding one of those anywhere.   They seem to have disappeared off the face of the planet!  I know I had one, but be danged if I can locate the beast!

Edited by Orville

I use a Pioneer surround sound stereo receiver that I have plugged into a cheap timer. It's nice because unless I manually turn it off on the receiver it stays "on" even though the timer has turned it off. So I..."Set it and forget it"

Edited by BMurray

49 minutes ago, EdNetman said:

Hey Orville,

Maybe you could build it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/131813731556

This one looks pretty easy. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a nice little kit, but my vision isn't what it used to be for soldering such small parts any longer.   So I need a ready made "analog" unit that has the old numbered dial and I can wire in the larger speaker{s} I have already mounted in the Christmas Passenger Car{s}.  Too many bells and whistles on that particular radio kit, now if I could still solder like I used to, I may have tried it, but not sure about it since it has an alarm clock in it, and most times those type radios have an annoying automatic off feature, something I want to avoid, since there might not be a way to disable such a feature and I'd have to turn it on every time, which would mean opening the passenger car up every time to reset the darn thing!

With the old radio I had and was looking for to use, no external antenna, set the dial to the number freq I want and set the volume level by extending it to underneath the car so I could change volume levels easier.  I'd use a small full wave diode bridge and L7905CV 9VDC output voltage regulator circuit off the track voltages{maximum 35VDC @ 10AMPS} from the passenger cars lighting pickups to the FWDB VR  9VDC circuit to the radio and I'd be good to go.

Man, that sounds pretty sweet!

I've got two teenage boys that solder for robotics club. Tell me what you want and I'll make them do it.

They work cheap, DQ bacon cheeseburgers usually do the trick. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk