Light-O-Rama Forums

Difference in pixels?

Brucey

I have enough CCP's to build a second pixel tree but not enough for the star.  Instead of buying more CCP's, if I went with 2811's connected to a pixie or some other non-ccp controller, would the differences in color be noticeable?  Could you even tell a difference from the tree strings to the star on top if they're all the same color at the same time?

There CAN be some color difference - even between different batches of the same LEDs.  The general recommendation is for example to buy all the LEDs for a particular project at the same time.  I will point out that my pixel tree uses WS2811 square node pixels and the pixel star on top uses WS2811 strips, so obviously they are different.  I've never noticed enough of a color difference between the star and tree to matter.  Furthermore, when I bought the pixels for the tree, I did not buy any spares, and had to obtain some two years later.  Got some from another forum member who had gotten them from a different vendor that I had gotten my pixels from.  I think I'm now up to about 10 of those pixels in use a random locations on tree, and I can't tell which are the replacements.

In other words, you should be fine.  Even if you notice it, most likely your viewers wont.

Thanks as always Jim.  I just wanted to make sure because I didn't want the star's green to look completely different as everything below it

The only thing I have seen that is different between the pixels is the color order they come in.  Rgb one time. Brg another. Rbg a third.  

The colors have all been the same but the color order can screw you up.  Especially with the older firmware on sans devices where 4 outputs are controlled with one color order command. I had to quickly change the order in the LOR software on every song to overcome this last year.  (Grouping and import/export works wonders for this)  

Again, the color between them has been exact to my eyes. That includes comparison between 2801 strips and LOR ccrs as well as bullet, square and rectangle pixels.  Even the floods and dumb pixels match up. 

1 hour ago, sax said:

The only thing I have seen that is different between the pixels is the color order they come in.  Rgb one time. Brg another. Rbg a third.  

The colors have all been the same but the color order can screw you up.  Especially with the older firmware on sans devices where 4 outputs are controlled with one color order command. I had to quickly change the order in the LOR software on every song to overcome this last year.  (Grouping and import/export works wonders for this)  

Again, the color between them has been exact to my eyes. That includes comparison between 2801 strips and LOR ccrs as well as bullet, square and rectangle pixels.  Even the floods and dumb pixels match up. 

I haven't noticed a difference in square and bullet nodes.  There was a drastic difference last year when I went to replace  a roll of 2811 10/30 strip last year on my pixel tree that had half the strip dead.  I could tell immediately it was different.  Both rolls came from Holidaycoro. The defective one was purchased in 2014 the new in 2015.  The orientation was the same but the color was off.  Very noticeable when its a whole roll on the tree with animations.   There is no such thing as dumb pixels by the way.  All pixels are smart

"There is no such thing as dumb pixels by the way.  All pixels are smart" 

To the layman or newbie all nodes are "Pixels". The difference:   "Pixels" are smart (any color, any time, any "pixel") and Dumb "pixels" are are called "RGB nodes" ( WHOLE string or strip 1 color any time)

On 9/8/2016 at 9:57 AM, Brucey said:

I have enough CCP's to build a second pixel tree but not enough for the star.  Instead of buying more CCP's,

So the 4 sets of CCPs that you are trying to sell in the Coffeeshop, are not enought for your star?

5 minutes ago, mpageler said:

So the 4 sets of CCPs that you are trying to sell in the Coffeeshop, are not enought for your star?

Those are the extras. The star I got was prelit so I didn't need those pixels like I thought I would originally. 

A slight difference in colours between a star and a tree isn't too bad.

My matrix was two different sets of pixels purchased from different places at different times. The only colour which was slightly different was green, and that was only at low intensity looking really close at the line between the two sets.

I had a dumb strip where part of the strip had a completely different shade of green to the other. At first I thought it was voltage dropping, but then I cut and soldered it at the point where the colours changed and the very end, and it was the same.