Light-O-Rama Forums

Basic troubleshooting tips

k6ccc

This evening I looked outside and most of my landscape lighting was dark.  I had to troubleshoot the problem.  I did a very methodical testing and figured that what I did and found might help someone else if and when they have a problem.  For my landscape lighting, there are 17 short strips of WS2811 strips controlled by an E6804 on an E1.31 network, and those were working.  The rest of everything is on two LOR networks.  Here is a drawing of my LOR networking.  The blue network ( Aux B ) is only used for Christmas.  The red network (Regular)  only has the InputPup.  The only thing different from the drawing is that the CMB16D - Unit ID 12 that is shown in the DC Column is actually in the Front Door conduit box, but it gets it's DC power from the same power supply as the other two CMB16Ds that actually are in the DC Column.

LOR_Network_2016-07-19.jpg

So here is what I did and found.  There is one security light that is fed from the CTB08 - unit ID 15 in the garage, and that light was on.  There are a total of four lights fed from the CTB16 - Unit ID 11 in the East Attic, and those were working.  However all the RGB strips fed from all three CMB16Ds were off.  Since they are all on the same power supply, my first thought was a loss of power to the DC Column.  Opened up the DC Column and found that both CMB16Ds and the InputPup were powered.  The status LED on the InputPup was solid red, but the status LED on both CMB16Ds were blinking.  OK, must have a data network problem.  Since the two AC controllers were working,the problem obviously was between the CTB16 in the East Attic and the first CMB16D in the Front Door box.  Just on general purposes, unplugged and reseated the RJ-45 in the DC Column, but I knew that would not be the problem.  Next step was to open the Front Door box.  The CMB16D there also had a blinking status LED.  Reseated both RJ-45 connectors on that CMB16D without fixing the problem.  Next step was to one more box upstream.  The trash can box used to have a CMB16D in it, but that was permanently removed when I converted the roses to RGB via the E1.31.  Since I had no expectation that I would ever have a controller in that box, I cut the RJ-45 connectors off, and spliced the In and Out cables together using wire splicing connectors (Jelly Beans for those that know what those are).  I did not expect there to be a problem with the Jelly Beans, but I visually checked on them anyway.  Next step was dinner before the place I was going to closed for the night.  After getting back from dinner, I got out the ladder and climbed up into the east Attic.  Since I cant see anything in the yard from inside the attic, I called my son and had him watch the status LED on the first CMB16D.  As expected, the green status LED on the CTB16 in the East Attic was steady green.  Unplugged and reseated both cables on the CTB16 without helping.  I used to have three controllers in the East attic, and because of cable length on the cable coming from Trash Can box, there is an RJ-45 splice and a short piece of cable to the output side of the CTB16.  Reseated both connectors on the RJ-45 splice module, and my son reported that the status LED went solid, and shortly thereafter, the lights in the yard started coming back on.  I've never been a great fan of those RJ-45 splice modules, and I just may replace that one with either soldered connections or Jelly Beans.

The moral of the story is that is it VERY helpful to KNOW what is connected to what, and in what order.  Start with thinking about what the problem might be rather than just shotgunning.  In this case, I knew that the loss of data had to be between the CTB16 and the first CMB16D.  Just a matter of finding where.

I hope basic troubleshooting will help someone who has a problem.

Edited by k6ccc

That is revision date of 19 July, not the 19th revision. I had to make the latest revision when I replaced my two old AC controllers that could not be on an enhanced LOR network after the spring sale this year. Then I moved the two new controllers onto the Aux A network, leaving only the InputPup on the Regular network.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Very nice troubleshooting tip and explanation Jim.

I use several of those RJ-45 splice modules and have had to reseat one of them once in a while.

Connectors sometimes need woke up. :)

• The topic was locked