Light-O-Rama Forums

So..who's feeling like Roger Ebert?

Sctiger

As I discussed in a previous thread, I'm just getting started (My equipment hasn't even got here yet!). I've watched a few videos on sequencing and I've been playing around with it for about an hour. I have a few things done but I want to make sure I'm not doing this totally wrong.  Is there an old timer out there who'd be willing to critique my barely started sequence? I have about 10 seconds of the intro done (Hey! Don't Judge! lol). Laugh, criticize, tell me there's no hope, tell me I'm ignorant...it's all good. I can take it. After all, I have been married for over 20 years.  I'm just struggling with the timing. I'm not so much worried about layout (i.e., icicle lights and shrubs timed together), just trying to make sure I'm on the right path.

Maybe instead of getting someone to look at what you've done already watch a borrowed sequence and see how their timings match up with the song. Also remember that as good or bad as it looks on the computer you'll never really know if you're happy with it or not until you see it for real on your display. I'd suggest just keep sequencing your show and don't expect it to be perfect right off the start, it is your first year after all. One of the reasons that most of us get our displays up early is to test everything and to tweak our sequences. I always find something I need to change up a bit and I'll be the first one to say that my sequencing isn't perfect. There is a learning curve to this. Another way to make sequencing easier is use view/waveform or you can slow down the audio a bit. Welcome to the addiction!

Agree with what oilmoney said.  Just keep plugging away at it.  Until you set it up for real using lights and the hardware, you'll really never know how well it all comes together.   The LOR SE is great, but seems what you see on the computer screen when testing your sequences never really totally matches the real lights, so some tweaking WILL be needed once you get your hardware and can plug in your items and check how everything is really going to work together.

Just par for this course. ;)

Instead of scratch building sequences, another options is to copy/pastes from several shared sequences...that's how all of my sequences are build.

It will give you valuable experience with the copy/paste function (view LOR tutorial videos) and still allow you to tweak channels you copied in.  And for channels that you can't find matches found, program those channels yourself.

You can end up with a pretty nice sequence in less time and can still tweak it down the road.  BTW...sequence tweaking never ends for many of us.

Thanks so much for the input.  I will most definitely rely heavily on purchased/borrowed sequences. With my first sequence, it's become a matter of just seeing if I can more than anything else.  We're famous in South Carolina for being stubborn, independent, and hard headed. Or at least I tell myself that so I don't feel too bad! ;)

Cory,

The very beginning (up to the 4 second mark) needs a little adjustment. From the 4 second mark on though you have really good timing.

Good work on the drums by the way. :)

IMO you're on the right path. B)

Keep me posted if you want to send updates of the sequence on how you're progressing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Cory,

The very beginning (up to the 4 second mark) needs a little adjustment. From the 4 second mark on though you have really good timing.

Good work on the drums by the way. :)

IMO you're on the right path. B)

Keep me posted if you want to send updates of the sequence on how you're progressing.

Thanks! I really do appreciate it! I owe all of y'all a lot. This place is a Godsend for us ignorant newbies.