Light-O-Rama Forums

Fixing LED lights

Gary N

I just got a led keeper to fix my led lights. I can find the bad bulb with no problem, and use the pod if needed. I would like to just go and get the resistors and solder them in place but I don't know the size.  In my search I found one person say it should be .25 watt- 330 ohm. (amazon replacement pods)

Could I just solder in a bulb from another set?  (sealed construction 70 count sets.)

I see different color bulbs run at different volts.

So how does a multicolor set work, if the bulbs are different volts?

Any info. would be helpful

Thanks, Gary

6 minutes ago, Gary N said:

Could I just solder in a bulb from another set?  (sealed construction 70 count sets.)

That is what I usually do.  I have a couple bad sets that I cannablize from.

Brian, 

That is what I want to do, Thanks for the info.

What about the color of the bulb, do you think it will make a big difference.

I cut and replace my bulbs all the time. Just make sure you connect the replacement the right way round. It will only work one way. 

I would try to go with the same color I believe that Red Yellow and Orange normally are just about the same and blue and green are close to each other as well.  If it's just one bulb I don't think it will make a major difference. Personally I normally just put in a 330 ohm resistor.

I do that with unsealed strands where a socket may have gone bad, just splice in a new socket, insert L.E.D. and done.   if I were using sealed strands, I'd do that same thing, cut out bad L.E.D. and splice in a new one, preferably of the same color.  Just make sure you have some heat shrink tubing to put over the soldered connections or over the resistor, then use some type of weatherproofing, like silicone sealant at each end of the shrink tubing to keep water and moisture out of the connections.

9 hours ago, TitusCarnathan said:

Personally I normally just put in a 330 ohm resistor.

Is this the correct size for all replacements, which ever color it is?

Not to sound stupid, were wound someone buy resisters?

Is there a wattage size to go with the 330ohm?

I have looked at mouser, and I don't know what I am looking for, way to many options.

Does someone have a part number?

Gary

Edited by Gary N

I recommend liquid electrical tape to go with heat shrink tubing. I've wired salt sanders/ trucks / trailers and marine applications in the past. This stuff stops the green death.  

4 hours ago, Gary N said:

Is this the correct size for all replacements, which ever color it is?

Not to sound stupid, were wound someone buy resisters?

Is there a wattage size to go with the 330ohm?

I have looked at mouser, and I don't know what I am looking for, way to many options.

Does someone have a part number?

Gary

At any electronics site search for 330 ohm resistor, there will be a lot of variants to wattage, you could probably get away with 1/4 watt {0.25}, but personally I'd really recommend going to a larger wattage one, at a minimum 1/2 watt {0.50} or what I use most often in my model trains that power L.E.D.'s 1 watt resistors.

You can usually buy these at your local Radio Shack store, if you have one.   These stores seem to be disappearing in my area and drastically, used to be one on just about every corner it seemed, now they've all gone but a small handful and spread way apart.

Also if you have any electronic surplus stores in your area, you can find resistors very cheap there most often too.

Unfortunately no part numbers, but resistors shouldn't be all that hard to locate in a wattage you prefer to use.

And don't worry too much on the GOLD {5% tolerance} or SILVER {10%} tolerance, some have no tolerance band {20%}, that just means the resistor may tolerate a 5%, 10% or 20% difference in it's value one way or the other, that is it will tolerate that percentage either negatively or positively, so a 330 ohm resistor with a 5% tolerance could range in the value of 313.5 ohms on the low side and 346.5 ohms on the high side. {if my memory serves correctly on figuring out the lower and higher tolerance levels}.   If not, I'm sure someone here still working with this stuff daily will correct any of my errors.  But in either case, you'd still buy a resistor labeled as 330 ohms and the preferred wattage you want.

Good Luck.

Edited by Orville

• The topic was locked