Light-O-Rama Forums

Mounting power supply for CMB24D

not enuf fuses

I bought the 8 RGB flood/controller package during the summer sale. I was wondering if I can mount the LED Power Supply (CV1220W) inside the outdoor enclosure that I also bought from LOR along with the controller board. I'm not sure how much heat the power supply gives off so I don't know if this is a good idea. How does anyone mount their PS here?

Yes you can, there is a photo of how LOR mounts the power and the controller in the same enclosure on the store website.  They now sell it as a complete package. The power supply is mounted sideways and the controller on the back wall. There is a mounting plate that they use which several people have asked about, but nothing confirming that they are for sale yet.

4 minutes ago, mcha said:

Yes you can, there is a photo of how LOR mounts the power and the controller in the same enclosure on the store website.  They now sell it as a complete package. The power supply is mounted sideways and the controller on the back wall. There is a mounting plate that they use which several people have asked about, but nothing confirming that they are for sale yet.

Ah, I just saw the pic. Thanks for pointing that out!

I have assembled (3) of these with CMB24D and DC power supply. Been running two years with no issues. I did not mount them on a panel, mounted with standoffs/screws/nuts to plastic enclosure.

2014-02-17 18.49.17-1.jpg

and if you are worried about heat ( as some are in Australia where temperature can still be over 30C - 86F at night ) you can add a vent like I've seen others do.

1 or 2 of something like these Ventilator and even a fan on 1 of them will do the trick, I hear.

and if you want to get fancy, like I've seen some people do, you can add a Mini LED Temp Meter  to the front of the box

Thanks again for the input. I'll mount the PS inside and add a vent. Now I just have to figure out how to sequence RGB floods. UGHH!

Sequencing RGB floods are as easy as sequencing regular store bought leds. The only difference is that you get to choose the color, easy peasy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Sequencing RGB floods are as easy as sequencing regular store bought leds. The only difference is that you get to choose the color, easy peasy.

Not sure how to do that, yet. I was looking for a color wheel but don't know SE well enough. Do I have to manually put in the intensity for each of the three channels of a flood?

look on the tool bar of the sequence editor   upper right side top for the color fade tool this where you can select your RGB colors.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2016 at 5:57 AM, Vince4xmas said:

I have assembled (3) of these with CMB24D and DC power supply. Been running two years with no issues. I did not mount them on a panel, mounted with standoffs/screws/nuts to plastic enclosure.

2014-02-17 18.49.17-1.jpg

Hi, How is the controller mounted to the box?   I also purchased the 8 RGB 10W floods, a power supply and enclosure....but I don't see an easy way to mount the board to the inside of the box.

None of the holes line up with the board and the hole side in the box needs a bigger screw than will fit through the controller:  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/taam83gygi8xwsd/2016-09-27 07.21.17.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pg6uyaao0ht5roj/2016-09-27 07.21.15.jpg?dl=0

Thank you, Rob

I drilled allignment holes and used standoffs/machine screws/lockwashers/washers and nuts to assemble both the board and the power supply to the enclosure. You can purchase a mounting plate separately if you want.

• Like 1