Light-O-Rama Forums

5v or 12v pixels

Scooch

If you are running a 12v controller with a 12v power supply and are using 5v lights then you are burning them up. Sure 5v lights may work for a short time as they will light very brightly but you are shortening their life dramatically, surprised they didn't go immediately. If you are using a 12v controller and power supply then you should also be using 12v lights.

Edited by Mr. P

5v vs 12v   All above info is good.   Big IMPORTANT thing to keep in mind if you have both 5V and 12V,  

!!!!   Mark them well   !!!!!!,  I generally use 12V pixels and 5V ribbons, but do have a few 5 V pixels;

Unfortunately I have applied 12 V to 5 V pixel strings and once I did it twice to the same string after fixing the killed pixels the first time.

There is no 3 second rule on voltage (magic smoke gets out immediately).

Mark each string/strip WELL,  check them TWICE before applying power then check them once more before plugging in the power supply.

Best bet is keep all your pixels in the same voltage, same for your ribbons.

This debate will continue forever.  Same as ford or Chevy. Apple or android. List goes on and on.

When I am making a decision about what component or device to use, the most important determining factors are availability, cost and ease.  

Both 5v and 12v are readily available.

Cost difference between 12v and 5v is really a non issue.  Savings on 5v pixels is totally erased since I have to add injection cables.  If the cost of the wire doesn't cause the costs to be the same then my time to add injection surely makes up the difference.  So let's just say cost is the same.

12v is easier in that I never have to power inject.  And I can even place the element 100' away and still have it work. (null pixels). Sure, you say put your controller next to your element.  Great.  Until someone steals it all.  Central controllers also make troubleshooting in the dark easier...especially if the controllers are placed chest high.  Sometimes you just can't do that inside your element.

We can debate all day.  But the most important thing said above that I totally agree with is to NOT mix the two voltages.  

So when making your decision, determine which voltage best suits your need and stick with that.  5v might take a little more work...to a lot more work depending on the element.  12v might use a little more energy but potentially allows less work.  But, it is more cost effective to only have one set of spares, and you will need spares. And, sticking with only one voltage could eliminate the need of extra spares due to your own mistakes. Just remember that both 12v and 5v final products are working lights.  And that is the end goal.

For me, 12v pixels work the best because they are available, cost effective and are way easier than 5v pixels due to cable lengths.  For you it might be 5v.  But you can't go "wrong" with either one.  At least in my opinion.

Btw...for 12v strips that are 1 bulb 1 pixel look at the INK strips.

Sax

I have decided to go with 5v. The position of the power supplies and control will be within a few feet of the matrix. Power inject should not be much of a problem as the distances are so short. Thanks for all the input.