Light-O-Rama Forums

Jingle Bells by Michael W Smith - help!

Jaynee

I've been trying to sequence 32 channels (8 of which go to a small spiral tree) for this song, and it's just way too fast for me.  After an hour I'm only 20 seconds into the song.  Ugh.

Anyone care to share a sequence for this song?  I can cull stuff from anything 64 channels or less.  If it's much more than 64 channels, it'll be too much for me to look through to find what I can use.

TIA to anyone that sends me something! 

jaynee at yahoo dot com

Edited by Jaynee

That's only three hours per minute. That's far less than I spend on songs that I purchased the portion for the pixel tree, and only have to add the rest of the yard. If I'm starting from scratch, it will be at least 10 hours per minute - most likely more than that. Granted, I'm sequencing more channels than you are...

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

6 hours ago, k6ccc said:

That's only three hours per minute. That's far less than I spend on songs that I purchased the portion for the pixel tree, and only have to add the rest of the yard. If I'm starting from scratch, it will be at least 10 hours per minute - most likely more than that. Granted, I'm sequencing more channels than you are...

I'm right there with you on that.  About 10 hours per minute.

I'm not sure if you do this, but what I generally do is focus on a "visible screen" portion of each song. I also work at 1/4 or 1/2 speed so as to hear each beat better.

Thanks to those who sent me their sequences for that song - it definitely helped and I've only got the last 30 seconds or so left to go and I'll be done.  Phew!

On 9/3/2016 at 5:45 PM, k6ccc said:

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

This is why I'll never have pixels.  I can't imagine the amount of time it would take to sequence all of that!!

And yes, my small 32-channel show is MUCH more simple than most everyone else's craziness.  As I told my son when he came into the office to watch me program for a bit, it may take me a couple hours to finish one of my songs, but it takes some of you guys WEEKS (months?) because you have 500+ channels!

If I end up getting more controllers, it will be so that I can have a 16-channel spiral tree (instead of the 8 channels I'll have this year), and then another couple of controllers in order to have singing faces.  If I ever talk my husband into letting me light up the roofline, then the 8 channels that open up because of dedicating a controller to the spiral tree will go to that.  

Having said that, the pixel tree kit that LOR is selling this year was mighty tempting - but then I had to dump over $1K into car repairs, so there went that idea...

On 9/4/2016 at 1:58 AM, lightingnewb said:

I'm not sure if you do this, but what I generally do is focus on a "visible screen" portion of each song. I also work at 1/4 or 1/2 speed so as to hear each beat better.

Yes, I definitely work in sections.  I do the windows first, then the new spiral tree, then the regular trees, etc.  But in the case of this song - even working in 1/2 time was nearly impossible (I did try!)

On almost all of my sequences, I have purchased the pixel tree portion from various vendors known here on the forum.  A couple major advantages to doing so. 

One is that they have all the timings down.  For example if the tree has a sequences of lights, and I am going to also have some other part of my lights go with that beat, I don't have to figure out the timing - it's already done for me. 

Second is that flat out, I'm NOT an artist.  I don't have the creativity to think of the ideas that these guys come up with.  I'm getting pretty good with SuperStar.  I can generally make SuperStar do what I want it to do, but I simply would never have thought of doing what they are doing.

Third is time.  In part because of the lack of creativity, it takes me forever to sequence a song from scratch.  Even when Brian was charging $99 per song, if it saved me 50 hours (and to do what he did would have taken me far longer than 50 hours), that made it about $2.00 per hour - and my time is worth a lot more than $2.00 per hour!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

On almost all of my sequences, I have purchased the pixel tree portion from various vendors known here on the forum.  A couple major advantages to doing so. 

One is that they have all the timings down.  For example if the tree has a sequences of lights, and I am going to also have some other part of my lights go with that beat, I don't have to figure out the timing - it's already done for me. 

Second is that flat out, I'm NOT an artist.  I don't have the creativity to think of the ideas that these guys come up with.  I'm getting pretty good with SuperStar.  I can generally make SuperStar do what I want it to do, but I simply would never have thought of doing what they are doing.

Third is time.  In part because of the lack of creativity, it takes me forever to sequence a song from scratch.  Even when Brian was charging $99 per song, if it saved me 50 hours (and to do what he did would have taken me far longer than 50 hours), that made it about $2.00 per hour - and my time is worth a lot more than $2.00 per hour!

Totally agree 110%