Light-O-Rama Forums

WS2811 paint can par/flood

canadianchristmas

Hi everyone, I just thought I would share a new project that I came up with. 

flood.jpg

it uses a total of 54 5050 RGB Leds with 18 Ws2811 pixel segments, the lights daisy chain together as they are all pixels.

Should I make a guide on these? how much interest is there?  

EDIT: to see a bigger image of the flood click the picture.

Edited by canadianchristmas
Added link to bigger image.

I would like to see at night. Looks like an awesome diy RGB flood. 

Edited by Plumber Plays with Lights

1 hour ago, Plumber Plays with Lights said:

I would like to see at night. Looks like an awesome diy RGB flood. 

Heres a quick night time video of it running a colour changing test. The video does not do it justice it is extremely bright!

I would say it is brighter then the LOR 10w floods.

its so bright that when I point the camera  at it you can see beams coming out of it even though you cant see it in person.

I filmed this on a ipad mini 2nd gen.

• Like 1

The problem is if you don't have any empty paint cans. It becomes expensive to go and buy several tins of paint, then to pour it down the sink, unblock the sink of paint, then clean the sink, just to make some flood lights. :P

Looks good though. Are the pixels individually controllable?

20 minutes ago, EmmienLightFan said:

The problem is if you don't have any empty paint cans. It becomes expensive to go and buy several tins of paint, then to pour it down the sink, unblock the sink of paint, then clean the sink, just to make some flood lights. :P

Looks good though. Are the pixels individually controllable?

I bought the paint cans empty at a local paint store, that is why they are shinny inside. The paint cans were only $1.27 USD     ($1.65 CAD) each.

If you were going to build these I would recommend you find a paint store and ask for empty cans, some of the stores like hardware store chains will charge like $5 a can which is ridiculous so shop around. 

And yes all the pixels are individually controlled, each can uses 54 channels, this allows for some cool flickering and fire effects.

EDIT: I should add that each of these lights only cost about $7.70 USD ($10.00 CAD) to build making them very inexpensive just as long as you have the time to solder and put them together.

Edited by canadianchristmas
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, canadianchristmas said:

Heres a quick night time video of it running a colour changing test. The video does not do it justice it is extremely bright!

I would say it is brighter then the LOR 10w floods.

its so bright that when I point the camera  at it you can see beams coming out of it even though you cant see it in person.

I filmed this on a ipad mini 2nd gen.

+1 on pretty bright. 

Cool idea. Nice job. 

47 minutes ago, canadianchristmas said:

I bought the paint cans empty at a local paint store, that is why they are shinny inside. The paint cans were only $1.27 USD     ($1.65 CAD) each.

If you were going to build these I would recommend you find a paint store and ask for empty cans, some of the stores like hardware store chains will charge like $5 a can which is ridiculous so shop around. 

And yes all the pixels are individually controlled, each can uses 54 channels, this allows for some cool flickering and fire effects.

EDIT: I should add that each of these lights only cost about $7.70 USD ($10.00 CAD) to build making them very inexpensive just as long as you have the time to solder and put them together.

Yep, paint stores are better than hardware stores in this case.   Many folks aren't even aware you can buy new, empty items like that.   When I bake my oww Pumpkin Pies, I go to my local Publix Bakery Department and purchase "unlabeled" boxes for my pies, cakes, etc.   And they are quite inexpensive too, depending on size needed.   Just like paint cans come in various sizes too, pretty sure that would also determine cost of the can wanted/needed.

Looks like CanadianChristmas used Don G as his videographer. 

Or maybe they're the same person.  Anyone ever see the two of them in the same place at the same time?

Hmmmm ...

18 hours ago, canadianchristmas said:

flood.jpg

it uses a total of 54 5050 RGB Leds with 18 Ws2811 pixel segments, the lights daisy chain together as they are all pixels.

Just an FYI - vendors offer 3-LED pixel products almost identical to the paint can pixels, except they are already wired in series so you don't have to.  Here's one:

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=42_44&products_id=438&zenid=d5c7c6b0c28f90658b1bf464033e47a8

Edited by George Simmons

8 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

Looks like CanadianChristmas used Don G as his videographer. 

Or maybe they're the same person.  Anyone ever see the two of them in the same place at the same time?

Hmmmm ...

To make it one of his videos it needs more Scotch... 

3 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

Just an FYI - vendors offer 3-LED pixel products almost identical to the paint can pixels, except they are already wired in series so you don't have to.  Here's one:

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=42_44&products_id=438&zenid=d5c7c6b0c28f90658b1bf464033e47a8

I made mine like this on purpose it has twice as many leds then could be fit using the 3 led modules making my light BRIGHTER!!!!!!

• Like 1

Just saw your video and had to ask .......are you in my house???? Lol.... It looks like we have the same stove and floors...bahaha....

Great idea!!!! Hmmmmmm ponder ponder...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, bob_moody said:

Just saw your video and had to ask .......are you in my house???? Lol.... It looks like we have the same stove and floors...bahaha....

Great idea!!!! Hmmmmmm ponder ponder...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I should have let you know that on my last trip to Texas I camped out in your basement without your knowledge, as it was cheaper then a hotel... I only came upstairs at night to play with your lights and controllers.... :D

Silly Canadian...

East Texans don't have basements !!! 

We have copperheads, coral snakes, rattle snakes, water moccasins, scorpions and spiders... but no basements .. LOL

Bob "Not a Canadian but I know where it is on a map" Moody

• Like 1

• The topic was locked