Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR sequences and color pixels

spthomas

Hi,

This is my first year making a display and I have a lot to learn.  I have the showtime central starter package and a few of the LOR modifiable sequences.  So far everything works.  I've tested lights and the music plays.

So I got ambitious and bought some cosmic color pixels.  I was able to get those to work with the LOR sequences, but only a few of the pixels activate when I play the sequence.  I did none of the programming myself and wasn't sure if the pre-built sequences would work with the color pixels.  How do I edit the activity of the color pixels?  Or did I make a mistake in the controller configuration that is causing only some of the bulbs to light up (they all work fine in testing)?

It's entirely possible that I'm asking the wrong questions.  I just want all of the bulbs to be in use during a show.  Thanks for reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Ensure that you follow the instructions on how to properly set up the CCP controller.  I use normal mode on unit ID 3.  You will need to use either ID 1 or 2 since you only have the starter package. You should be able to control all of the lights with the control panel.  Once that is confirmed, then you can go into your sequence editor and add your device - select cosmic color device, assign a unit ID.  And your editor will be populated with a ton of channels - 320 new channels.  Very overwhelming if you are just starting.  I would recommend getting your 16 channel controller programming down this year and play with the pixels after the holidays.  

Too late to stop playing with the pixels.  Figured out how they work and they are a lot of fun (thanks to the forum for all of the shared sequences).  I have a CCD with 2 strings and it seems to run fine as units 2 and 3.  

The original LOR sequences I purchased were not designed to run using the color pixels.  I think that channels 1-16 on the color pixels were activated by the LOR sequence, I just needed to duplicate the pattern to fill 300 channels.  Now they all blink.  Again, seeing shared sequences put together by people who know what they are doing makes all the difference.

9 hours ago, caserace33 said:

Ensure that you follow the instructions on how to properly set up the CCP controller.  I use normal mode on unit ID 3.  You will need to use either ID 1 or 2 since you only have the starter package.

If your software level only supports two controllers that will need to be upgraded in order to run two strings of CCPs in addition to conventional controllers at the same time.  You'll also need to make sure you don't have more than one controller set to the same unit ID number.  (Unless you really know what you're doing and specifically WANT them setup that way.)   CCP/CCB controllers require an individual Unit ID# (which LOR recommends be consecutive) for each string of 50 pixels.

George, that is not entirely correct.  When a dual string CCP controller is used in "Dual Normal" mode, each string would appear as a separate Unit ID, however if the CCP controller is set for "Normal" mode, both strings would appear as the same Unit ID, with one string being channels 1 - 160 and the second string being channels 161 - 320.

From the LOR Help file:

Unit ID Mode: In "Normal" mode, the Cosmic Color device will be a single unit ID, with 157 circuit IDs for a one-string CCD or 314 for a two-string.  In "Legacy" mode, the Cosmic Color device will use up to ten sequential unit IDs per string (depending upon the configured resolution), with up to 16 circuit IDs for each unit ID.  In "Dual Normal" mode, which is applicable for two-string CCDs, the device will have two contiguous unit IDs, each having 157 circuit IDs.

Although the help file implies that it's channels 1 - 314, the CCP documentation specifically states that the two strings are 1 - 160 and 161 - 320 (easier for us humans to understand).  Personally I run my CCPs in Dual Normal Mode, but I remember testing them in Normal Mode when I first got them.

Well, 4 controllers will work for you this year, but mark my words, budget for an upgrade next year after you see what you can do, and what you will want to do next year. Trust me, we've all been there! I made it easy and started with the Advanced level and 24 CCR SuperStar. Upgraded to Pro level in the first hour after it was released last year. Now at 40 CCR for SuperStar, and expect to up that next year (put off an upgrade on my pixel tree and star until next year, or I would have had to upgrade SuperStar this year).

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

9 hours ago, k6ccc said:

George, that is not entirely correct.  When a dual string CCP controller is used in "Dual Normal" mode, each string would appear as a separate Unit ID, however if the CCP controller is set for "Normal" mode, both strings would appear as the same Unit ID, with one string being channels 1 - 160 and the second string being channels 161 - 320.

From the LOR Help file:

Unit ID Mode: In "Normal" mode, the Cosmic Color device will be a single unit ID, with 157 circuit IDs for a one-string CCD or 314 for a two-string.  In "Legacy" mode, the Cosmic Color device will use up to ten sequential unit IDs per string (depending upon the configured resolution), with up to 16 circuit IDs for each unit ID.  In "Dual Normal" mode, which is applicable for two-string CCDs, the device will have two contiguous unit IDs, each having 157 circuit IDs.

Although the help file implies that it's channels 1 - 314, the CCP documentation specifically states that the two strings are 1 - 160 and 161 - 320 (easier for us humans to understand).  Personally I run my CCPs in Dual Normal Mode, but I remember testing them in Normal Mode when I first got them.

Thanks Jim.  I didn't know that.  Nor have I tried it.  All I've ever used is Dual Normal.

Now I've got something for tomorrow when Sharon and I compare the new tricks each of us old dogs learned yesterday.