Light-O-Rama Forums

A question regarding total number of amps used

JimCanfield

I am sorry to bring this up again, but this is to clarify what I think I have learned.

The PC unit is rated for 30 amps (but may go to 40 amps with a different fuse and a diff box.) So that means basically (and I am quoting from LOR WIKI) " A 'standard' string of 100 count mini lights is .34amps. If you divide 30amps by .34amps, you get 88.23. This means you could have about 8800 lights on a 16 channel, 30amp controller. If you were to evenly space these out, you would have about 5.5 strings per channel. Throw away that half string per channel, and you can run about 8000 on a standard 16 channel, 30amp controller."

With that said, I am not putting more than 500 lights on 1 channel. If I were to run EVERY channel at 500 lights and had them all on at once that should be ok, right? Of course I will not have all at 500, but about half (8 channels of a 16 channel controller) will be at 500. Then some will be at 400 and others even less. In the end I am only using a total of 6150, quite a bit shy of the 8800 total max.

In this example I am following the rules "Rule 1 - NEVER exceed 8amps per channel. Rule 2 - NEVER exceed the rating on the board."

I think I am on the right track here. Thank you all so much for your help!

You are on the right track. 500 lights will draw a bit under 1.5 amps. IF you load each channel with 500 lights you will draw just under 12 amps at all lights on for the 8 circuits. Just make sure you use two supply cords (one for each bank) of sufficient gauge.