Light-O-Rama Forums

TEST SEQUENCE FOR PIXELS?

Vince4xmas

I am adding about 2,000 smart pixels to my display this year. I finally have all the props assembled, wired and calculated where I need to power inject. I want/need to test all these pixels prior to placement on my house as I may need to add some null pixels or inject some additional power, let alone verify the pixels are good.

Do folks typically write a "test sequence" where the purpose is to simply test the pixels? I am running off a G3-MP3, so no computer is available to run the hardware utility (lights are being tested on enclosed porch).

The sequence would just turn on a single prop one at a time (cycling through red, green, blue, white) for an extended period of time to I can check every pixel for correct color.

Has anyone done this or something else to test their assemvbled pixel props?

Thanks!

Depending on the controller some have a test built in but, I have created a sequence before in pixel editor and tested before so my answer would be yes.

SPaschall

Since you said that there is no computer connected (I presume because of the location), create a test sequence and load it onto the director.  Does not need to be fancy.  I run my show from a computer, so I have the HU available, but I often just use either a test pattern in the SanDevices controllers, or write a simple test sequence.  For example a simple chase that steps through the six primary and secondary colors (or even just the three primary colors, and steps through the pixels.  As long as you know what order you wrote the test sequence, you can watch the pixels testing and know that they are in the right order and working.

Yes.

there are test patterns on most all controllers-

Nothing wrong with writing a test sequence-

i also use a a pixel tester I got for about $3 from Ray Wu. Just apply power and scroll through the many patterns. 

I use a test sequence for testing channel configuration. I have (Each for 10 sec) full white, red, green, blue, cyan, yellow, some colour fades, then a chase where each channel comes on, so it goes red, yellow, white on each pixel, one pixel after the other.

For E1.31 and general pixel testing I use DA_E1.31. It is a really useful test tool for controllers. 

I use the pixel editor to test all my controllers and pixels  turn on controll lights   And pick a prop in effects generator and that's it 

I always use my sequences to test, this way I know if the colors are correct how I want them.

For initial functionality tests, most controllers have something built in.