Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Tree Colors

Brucey

I'm going to be building 4 of the 46" singing Christmas trees but debating what color(s) would look best.  Obviously I'll use green for the border and blue for the open eyes, but for everything else, I'm seeing a bunch of different examples out there and not sure what will look best for a group of 4.

I'm not going to be using smart pixels for this, I'm just going to use the regular LED's from the box stores so any advice you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks

IMO, I would not go overly "colored" on singing trees  or faces. I like the 7 eye/mouth movement to be ;the same color to gbetter uniformed look and movement. You can add multiple colors elsewhere in the display.  Main objective for singing trees/faces is the singing motion. So in that regards, would see no reason to use smart pixels...KISS.

I used warm white for all of the mouth motions, Blue for the eyes, red for upper and lower eye outline, Green for the tree outline. These were all changed to led's from icans. If your interested go to my video page  and watch the White Christmas video. http://www.buscochristmas.com/Videos.html      These videos were not as clear as I would have liked, but they may help you.

Wayne

I use single colour 12v LEDs. Controllers are cheaper and so are lights.

I am only doing faces for Halloween, but I also advise to keep most face positions the same colour. On one face, I have a green outline with yellow/orange everything else, and an RGB module in each eye for changing the colour of the pupil, which is actually quite effective. One other has an RGB outline with everything else white.

I would do green outline (Or dumb RGB) and white or warm white everything else. Cooler white is normally brighter, and this can help as it makes each light blur a bit and that fills in the gaps.

All other faces are white except for the outline. The lights I use are incredibly bright and colours are fantastically vibrant, but I have never seen a US LED Christmas strand myself so I don't know what colours are like.

Thanks for the suggestions and the great ideas.  I'm just laughing here because to light each one, using standard M5 LED's, would cost about $150-200 for each face due to the hundreds of lights required and how it has to be 50 of this and 50 of that and 250 of that.....Just adds up pretty quickly unless someone has a cheap alternative for it?

26 minutes ago, Brucey said:

Thanks for the suggestions and the great ideas.  I'm just laughing here because to light each one, using standard M5 LED's, would cost about $150-200 for each face due to the hundreds of lights required and how it has to be 50 of this and 50 of that and 250 of that.....Just adds up pretty quickly unless someone has a cheap alternative for it?

With the prices of smart pixel nodes (especially during pre-sales) getting cheaper, it's almost the same cost as buying a new LOR CTB-16D controller and all the LED lights.  That's why I decided to go the RGB pixel route from now on when adding more elements to my display.  Gives you way more options not only with color but lighting effects too.

I use DUMB RGB's for my face and it looks amazing. If a song has 2 voices in it I can change the color of the face for each voice.

Of course what I need to do is break down and make another face... but till then...

On 8/23/2016 at 2:13 PM, Brucey said:

If you go 12 volt led, you can cut the string lengths to whatever length you want. I am sticking with 120, but upgrading to led next year, there are a couple places where you can order custom lengths as well.

I think rope light for singing trees/faces provides for a little more uniformed/difused looks than bulb strings.

I used 3/8 pearl white tube colored rope light in a warm white temp.  The pearl white gives a more difused looks versus clear tube rope.

I purchased from 1000iights.com.