Light-O-Rama Forums

Dumbed down LOR?

DanglinModifiers

I've got 32... maybe 40 channels of LOR planned for my light display this year. I've started sequencing already, and I'm getting half-way decent with the software.

I'm planning a large coroplast animation that will need somewhere around 40 channels of on/off control. I don't need to dim them, or twinkle, or anything, just straight on-off. Buying the full blown controllers seems like a bit of over-kill, but I certainly want to be able to sequence and control the display in LOR S2. Is there anything coming out from LOR that might fit the bill? I keep hearing about the DIO32, but being a newbie I'm not quite sure what it does. Is this an option? Is there something else I could try?

Thanks,
Steve

DanglinModifiers wrote:

I've got 32... maybe 40 channels of LOR planned for my light display this year. I've started sequencing already, and I'm getting half-way decent with the software.

I'm planning a large coroplast animation that will need somewhere around 40 channels of on/off control. I don't need to dim them, or twinkle, or anything, just straight on-off. Buying the full blown controllers seems like a bit of over-kill, but I certainly want to be able to sequence and control the display in LOR S2. Is there anything coming out from LOR that might fit the bill? I keep hearing about the DIO32, but being a newbie I'm not quite sure what it does. Is this an option? Is there something else I could try?

Thanks,
Steve

The DIO32 is less cost effective per channel than a LOR controller. The PC controller is the cheapest LOR controller. I'm not sure of anything else coming out that would be better.

Have you looked a relay card? Not sure if those are cost effective or not.

Just to reinforce what Jeff is saying.

I got an ISA version of the DIO-96 for $20 on eBay(NI works in the ISA model)
Add just as many SSRs as you need for lots of cheap on off channels.

My show last year had 32 LOR channels, and 85 DIO channels.
This year I am adding a card for 48 LOR channels and a possible 192 digital channels (Not counting the 90 or so DIY channels Vixen controls for my animated stuff)

pixeldigger wrote:

Just the ISA.

Measurement Computing and CyberResearch PCI cards will work with LOR.

From what I read on the LOR Software page, the DIO card needs to work with Measurement Computing's InstaCal software. Does that mean the USB or PCMCIA DIO devices from Measurement Computing would work as well?

Thanks again for all your help!