Light-O-Rama Forums

One of my first sequences.

LightsWithSoul

Hello. This is a visualization of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean." I told myself I wouldn't do pop music but I found that sequencing them can be very nuanced without the repetitive flashing that I was worried about. This is one of my first sequences so any feedback is greatly appreciated. All I can ask is that you watch the whole thing because there are some cool changes of elements throughout the song. 

ALSO: I realize this visualizer setup is unconventional, but this setup allows me to see very clearly what's going on as everything is very bold.

• Like 1

Quite good.  I enjoyed the nuances of the color changes.

One thing you can do is a background fade on the entire sequence at the end so everything will fade out as the music fades. 

Pretty nice.  One question.  What are the square lights on either side of the garage door?

I agree with Brian on the fade at the end would be good.

I don't think it sucks too bad at all.

I like the vertical movement on the garage doors.  It offsets the rest nicely.

My biggest concern is song length.  The fewer the channels, the easier it is for patterns to become repetitive.  IMO, you don't yet have enough channels/props/elements/sequencing experience to jump into the five-minute end of the pool.  Shorter songs with different styles and tempos will go a long way to help stretch and maintain a viewer's interest.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Pretty nice.  One question.  What are the square lights on either side of the garage door?

I agree with Brian on the fade at the end would be good.

They are firesticks basically. I used singular bulb props to make them because it allows me to quickly see sections while sequencing.

48 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

I don't think it sucks too bad at all.

I like the vertical movement on the garage doors.  It offsets the rest nicely.

My biggest concern is song length.  The fewer the channels, the easier it is for patterns to become repetitive.  IMO, you don't yet have enough channels/props/elements/sequencing experience to jump into the five-minute end of the pool.  Shorter songs with different styles and tempos will go a long way to help stretch and maintain a viewer's interest.

I have considered making a medley of shortened Michael Jackson tunes because I have sequenced 3 of them. I agree, with this many channels it's difficult to keep the show engaging after 3 or so minutes.  A lot of the sequencing I've done here is "painting" the house in different colors which is nice because it mitigates the flashing, but still the movement gets repetitive. If I go the medley route I think I'll keep this one as a second version of this sequence as I think a lot of this "painting" effect would be an awesome backdrop to a couple mega trees and other props that I will add next year. Thanks for taking the time to watch it and leave feedback. This forum is awesome.

I agree with what George suggested on the length of the song.

For the most part, you start losing people when just about any song/sequence lasts over 3 minutes or so, in my opinion.

I would also get more action out of the two trees on each side of the driveway, maybe towards the end of the song? I only saw them for a short period in the middle of the song. Again, just my opinion.

Over all you did a great job, especially being one of your first sequences. You're off to a great start.

Tom

15 hours ago, LightsWithSoul said:

They are firesticks basically. I used singular bulb props to make them because it allows me to quickly see sections while sequencing.

That was what I suspected.

Thanks