Light-O-Rama Forums

Hide extensions cords hanging snow flakes

asl9622

Hey ladies and gentlemen,

I have constructed five snow flakes that I would like to hang in my law between my house and a tree. I have 100lb test fishing line that will be near invisible and can handle the weight of one snowflake plus any winds. However I do not know how to hide the extension cord. I know I could wrap it around the fishing line but then you could see it. I also do not want to put a backdrop behind the snowflakes to hide the cords. Any ideas? The only solution I have is to put it closer to the trees or house so I can hide the cords while maintaining a floating effect. I would just really like them to be centered. The distance between the house and tree is about 10 ft.

6 hours ago, jerry72 said:

Use white SPT 1 lamp cord, zip tie it with white zip ties to the line, at night, they will be invisible. 

Just my thought but if there is any kind of light shining/reflecting in the direction of those white cords, those white cords will be visible. Going with the dark green, brown or black SPT1 would be more "invisible" at night.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the replies. I should have mentioned my concerns were during the day. My wife is asking that I try to not have the lawn look too rough and I am trying to come up with the best solution. I know for the light show some sacrifices have to be made in day aesthetics.

So now it depends on what the background color is if your concerned about this during the day.

If it's a light background (sky, white house) then use white cord.

If it's a dark background (trees, dark house) then use a dark colored cord.

It's a matter of trying white or dark and see what stands out the least. As long as it doesn't look like crap during the show, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

Just my thought but if there is any kind of light shining/reflecting in the direction of those white cords, those white cords will be visible. Going with the dark green, brown or black SPT1 would be more "invisible" at night.

Well assuming the cords will be up and behind the element, the lights should be aiming out, so there shouldn't be any reflection, or not enough to notice. But seeing a show he is looking for day,. then yeah that throws a whole new wrench into the plans.

1 hour ago, jerry72 said:

Well assuming the cords will be up and behind the element, the lights should be aiming out, so there shouldn't be any reflection, or not enough to notice. 

You're probably right on the reflection, depending on the display. B)

IMG_3256_zps2ae2d45b.jpg

I guess I was thinking of the idea in my display. ;)

5 hours ago, asl9622 said:

Thank you for all the replies. I should have mentioned my concerns were during the day. My wife is asking that I try to not have the lawn look too rough and I am trying to come up with the best solution. I know for the light show some sacrifices have to be made in day aesthetics.

Everybody's priorities are different.  I made it clear, at perhaps just the right moment during our first year, that my focus was 100% on what the display looks like at night and that I had ZERO interest (or less) in what it looks like during the day.  I remember giving Sharon my blessing to spiff up anything she wanted to during the day, with the caveat that she could not touch any lights or wiring or add anything that wasn't already in the yard. 

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

You're probably right on the reflection, depending on the display. B)

IMG_3256_zps2ae2d45b.jpg

I guess I was thinking of the idea in my display. ;)

Man that right there could be on the front of a Christmas card.

I think a black/dark cord will blend better both during the day and at night. Kind of like black vinyl chain line fence verus aluminum...not as obtrusive.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. This weekend I am going to try to hang one and see what options are the best.

I'm with George, I don't care what it looks like during the day. I don't have anybody driving by to look at it during the day so all of my cords are black or a dark color so they disappear at night.

Nothing worse than having your lights go full on white and all the white cords showing up everywhere as I don't get snow so I have brown grass during the winter.

Edited by Mr. P