Light-O-Rama Forums

Another Newbie

philw

23 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

I think there are questions and answers for two different types of lights at the same time, which is causing confusion.

Multi-function lights with a controller and regular string lights.

Both type of lights are totally different and should deserve different answers. Especially when an LOR controller is in play.

This is the confusion I was talking about. The OP has started another thread worded differently but aiming in the same direction. Two different scenarios with scattered info on both ends IMO.

I say confusion because this thread apparently didn't provide the needed confidence in where to go or what to do, thereby starting a new thread.

I think the OP should create a separate thread for each scenario. but that's just me.

On 09/08/2016 at 6:56 PM, Mr. P said:

So people Down Under can't just walk into a store and buy a string of 240v lights that plug into a wall?

Yes, but No.:)  Pretty much what  EmmienLightFan said. 

In Australia, the vast majority of lights that plug into a wall have a transformer (or most often, a transformer/multi-function controller) between the 240V wall plug and the lights (LED or incandescent). Transformer converts to 5V, 12V, 24V or 30V, mostly DC. Some of these transformers can be hacked and run off a LOR AC controller ( CTB16PC )  but as EmmienLightFan there can be issues.

For my CTB16PC I ended up finding only 1 type of 240V AC lights I could plug into the LOR controller directly!  Blue Wave Flexi Rope Lights 10m (33 feet) which come in Red, Green, Blue, Aqua and Clear. Only available at Masters ( a hardware chain store that's about to be closed down )  Masters Party Lights $35 AUD each!

Wrapped around 1.2m (4 feet) plant trainers they make fairly good flashing christmas trees...

So no more AC controllers for me, pixels/RGB all the way from now on :)

rope light trees .jpg