Light-O-Rama Forums

Actidongle to DMX Decoder

caniac

anyone using this config.  trying to figure out how I go from the actidongle to the DMX decoder.  They supplied RJ45, do I just cut the ends and strip the wire?  Will any RJ45 work?

this is the strip type I am using, should I assume 30 RGB's/addresses per strip?

Smart / Pixel RGB LED Strip / Ribbon 30 LEDs/m 10 Pixels/m Waterproof Tube (16ft-6in/5 meter Roll) - 12v / 2811
clear1x1.gif

looks like you got the controller wired right  but your strip has 50 pixels so 150 channels will be used per strip.

configure LOR for DMX (tutorial on knowledge base from where you purchased the ati dongle).  connect the Input side of the dongle to an available USB port (if you are also using LOR controllers you will need to use a 2nd USB port).  connect a short  Ethernet cable to the output side of the acti dongle. cut off one of the Ethernet cable ends and  connect the solid orange and orange and white stripe wires to the DMX in on the acti-dongle.  connect the proper power supply to the power in side of the controller (be sure to get the pos and neg correct).  connect the Power out / Grnd out and data wires to you ribbon (only 3 if using WE2811 style).  configure the DMX controller via the main menu button for pixel type, size etc.   TRIPLE CHECK THE POWER AND DATA WIRES. 

I would start with the controller , power supply and ribbons first to confirm you have that end setup.  That controller will work without any DMX input if you set up the demo mode on the controller (menu button).  Once you have that working properly add the DMX side and configure LOR for DMX and the dongle.  TRIPLE check ALL connections before turning on the power.  

Need additional help PM me.

2 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

looks like you got the controller wired right  but your strip has 50 pixels so 150 channels will be used per strip.

We did a team meeting this morning. It looks like he as everything set up correctly.

Demo mode works. USB Driver is installed and sees the dongle. Lorcommlistner sees it. The S4 software is configured for DMX.

But when testing we put it to start at channel 160. So that may be our problem... bummer :(

Chet - might as well drop the channels down to 1 to start. It may help keep things a little easier.

NOTE: Now the one thing i see different from watching the Holidaycoro config video is the adapter type. The video lists a different one that what we have listed. But that could be a different model or firmware.

Edited by gsmith37064

Starting at 160 should't be a problem for a 150 channel (50) pixel string  this would equate to curcuits 160 - 310.  Tell the pixel controller that you have 210 pixels (the . Use circuit numbers 160 to 310  in LOR if you want the pixels to start at 160. As far as pixels go 160 channels would be 53 pixels and 1 extra circuit.  Normally you would only do this if you have other DMX stuff on the same controller that use circuits 1-159 or on other controllers daisy chained from this controller that have the lower circuits.

If I remember correctly you will be best to assign a name to the dongle (default name may create an issue if you use more than one DMX dongle).

It turned out to be a conflict with the comm port. We resolved that and it worked like a charm :)