Light-O-Rama Forums

Outdoor Power Strips

scodavis

Hello all,

This year I'm going to have two CTB16PC controllers next to each other attached to a fence.  Next year I will have six in that location.  Since each controller has two power input cords, the number of things that must plug in goes up rather quickly (4 plugs this year, 12 plugs next year).  I was thinking of getting something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Inland-6-ft-6-Outlet-Heavy-Duty-Outdoor-Steel-Power-Strip-03208/206857973

But I was wondering what other people use to hook up large numbers of controllers next to each other.  Total amperage is not a concern since I am using all LED lights.  Please give me your thoughts.

Hope everyone's decorating plans are going well so far!

-Scott

I bought a plastic tool locker from Lowe's and then made a mounting board to attach a small two slot breaker box that I put two ground fault breakers in and got four square boxes and mounted two duplex receptacles.. That gives me sixteen outlets. I used a heavy duty cord with a moulded plug on one end and attach the other to power the breaker box. Cut a hole in the bottom of the tool chest to run the cords through. Then set the chest on a couple of 4x4's so it is off the ground. Water tight and lockable.

Here is what I do. A power strip with the 3-way connectors like these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Accents-Holiday-3-to-1-Adapter-Beige-AW00053/202295619#.UF89HLKPX1o.

Then I connect an extension cord to this power strip to branch out further in the yard for a couple more controllers.

DSC04980_zps7aa6a419.jpg

Edited by Santas Helper

26 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Here is what I do. A power strip with the 3-way connectors like these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Accents-Holiday-3-to-1-Adapter-Beige-AW00053/202295619#.UF89HLKPX1o.

Then I connect an extension cord to this power strip to branch out further in the yard for a couple more controllers.

Thanks to you both for your replies.

Tom - wow, that's some serious cordage but you have it very well organized.  I see you are using WRGB C6 super strings on your mega tree - how many channels do you have?  Someday I plan to do a mega tree (or perhaps two smaller mega trees) so I am very curious as to how you have it laid out.

-Scott

Since you say you are all LED, have you thought about removing 1 power cord per controller? The manual tells you how to do this by using internal jumpers to join the power and ground rails to both sides of the controller. 

You don't need to spend a ton of money on heavy duty power strips. You need to ensure you do not overload your strip/cords. How do you map out your power grid? There is a spreadsheet I could not do my display without as it allows me to look at that across my entire display. 

I use a lot of these when I have a group of controllers in one spot, and I don't use anything that is orange, white or yellow in my yard, as you can see it at night easily. 

https://www.amazon.com/Accell-D080B-007K-R-PowerSquid-Outlet-Multiplier/dp/B004LZ5XMU

Edited by zman

thanks Scott,

Actually, I have an updated pic I need to upload to share so hopefully I can do that tonight.

My RWB+G (Red, White, Blue & Green) (I'm retired military so the flow of the USA colors matter to me) mega strands consist of 48 strands of each color. 16 channels per color. Three strands of each color to one channel. This gives a nice full flow for this size of tree and if I lose a strand in the middle of the show, it's hard to tell it. So each controller is dedicated to a color.

Edit: I made my own extension cords using SPT wire so they are the exact length I need. Makes for a cleaner setup of cords and easier to manage.

Edited by Santas Helper
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, zman said:

Since you say you are all LED, have you thought about removing 1 power cord per controller? The manual tells you how to do this by using internal jumpers to join the power and ground rails to both sides of the controller. 

You don't need to spend a ton of money on heavy duty power strips. You need to ensure you do not overload your strip/cords. How do you map out your power grid? There is a spreadsheet I could not do my display without as it allows me to look at that across my entire display. 

I use a lot of these when I have a group of controllers in one spot, and I don't use anything that is orange, white or yellow in my yard, as you can see it at night easily. 

https://www.amazon.com/Accell-D080B-007K-R-PowerSquid-Outlet-Multiplier/dp/B004LZ5XMU

Thanks Zman, your question may not be aimed at me but I will answer with my scenario.

I realize I can remove one of the power cords and add in a jumper but I already had the power strip from years ago, you can't see anything from the street for my display anyways. Plus, I use these controllers in the off season for other types of lights so keeping both plugs works better for me.

And as for the power grid, everything is on one outlet so not much to manage there. LEDs go a long ways. :)

IMG_3263_zps63168b64.jpg

Another outdated picture there as I added a spiral tree last year.

That's a nifty outlet in that link you provided.

Tom

The power cord removal hint was aimed at the OP, Scott. 

I like the octopus arrangement I have used them for many years, it just adds a bit of flexibility into an already congested area. 

I have clusters of controllers and they are usually on stands, but in some cases just lying on the ground too. Using the above allows me to also keep the power pigtails a bit shorter on my controllers.  

22 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Another outdated picture there as I added a spiral tree last year.

Tom, that is absolutely gorgeous.  I love what the RWB+G does, and it gives you tons of options for sequencing.  Here is one of the photos of my 2016 display (I put the lights up for taking photos - static only):

photo14l.jpg

Seven of the elements - roofline, garage, bushes next to garage, right window, left window, maple tree, and flower bed outline - are all RWB+G super strings.  The actual bushes are single color.  In the photo you can see pink lights on a tree in front of the right window, but I've actually moved those lights to a tomato cage mini tree that will be placed somewhere else in the display - not sure where yet.

Next year I'm adding the upper roof outline, lights around that tiny window next to the front door, and sixteen RWB+G tomato cage mini trees that will go across the lawn just in front of where the path to the front door is.

-Scott

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zman said:

The power cord removal hint was aimed at the OP, Scott. 

I like the octopus arrangement I have used them for many years, it just adds a bit of flexibility into an already congested area. 

I have clusters of controllers and they are usually on stands, but in some cases just lying on the ground too. Using the above allows me to also keep the power pigtails a bit shorter on my controllers.  

Well this year my display will only use three controllers - one will be in the garage, the other two will be behind the eastern fence which is actually invisible in the photo, but it's on the left side, so power is easy enough this year - I'm just thinking of the future.  I've already built my controllers but, yes, I may look into disconnecting one of the power cords since power usage is not going to be an issue.  My entire display right now runs on just over 4 amps, and that's when every single light is staying on constantly (which we know doesn't happen very much).

6 minutes ago, scodavis said:

Tom, that is absolutely gorgeous.  I love what the RWB+G does, and it gives you tons of options for sequencing.  Here is one of the photos of my 2016 display (I put the lights up for taking photos - static only):

photo14l.jpg

Seven of the elements - roofline, garage, bushes next to garage, right window, left window, maple tree, and flower bed outline - are all RWB+G super strings.  The actual bushes are single color.  In the photo you can see pink lights on a tree in front of the right window, but I've actually moved those lights to a tomato cage mini tree that will be placed somewhere else in the display - not sure where yet.

Next year I'm adding the upper roof outline, lights around that tiny window next to the front door, and sixteen RWB+G tomato cage mini trees that will go across the lawn just in front of where the path to the front door is.

-Scott

Scott, that's a very nice and clean display. Love the color of the lights and how the color of your house glows to the lights.