Light-O-Rama Forums

all things RGB hardware

caniac

taking the plunge and as most of you know that puts in the world of solder, heat shrink, et al.  My senior moment question is when dealing with heat shrink do you need one of those heat guns or does an old fashioned hair dryer work (on low wind setting).

No, you need far more heat then a hair dryer can put out. i have my heat gun set at around 450F.

Caniac  if you not that good at soldering. You should try the solder sleeves.     Dyi led express.   And Holiday Coro sell them.

check your local Harbor Freight. They have a heat gun that puts out LOTS of heat.   also the small propane torches work well.

a god old fashion cigarette lighter will do the job nicely .I use it all the time

A lighter will work, but once you've used a descent heat gun, you will never want to go back to a lighter.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

I've used the HF heat gun and the mini torch and the solder sleeves.

I used to solder and heatshrink each wire then place larger heatshrink over that. Using a bbq lighter  then moved up to a heat gun  

so far the combo I like is the solder sleeves with the mini torch on low. Quick and easy.  But both have their place and each of us have our own way.

Edited by Cdanna77

I picked up a $10 heat gun from Ebay and it does the job perfectly. The only down side is that it's some puck blue color. lol

16 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

Caniac  if you not that good at soldering. You should try the solder sleeves.     Dyi led express.   And Holiday Coro sell them.

Yes, I just used them to lengthen the spacing on one of my pixel strings. I soldered over 60 splices and they worked great. I used my trusty cigarette lighter also (LOL........but that's just me)

I used to use hold the wire just above a red hot stove coil before buying a heat gun.  Lost a lot of knuckle hair that way.

8 hours ago, Little_b said:

I used to use hold the wire just above a red hot stove coil before buying a heat gun.  Lost a lot of knuckle hair that way.

Are you sure you didn't lose that knuckle hair from dragging them? :) 

I use a Sealey heat gun. It was £12, about $15.

Works great. Tried a lighter and a match once. Lighter shrunk it unevenly so I redid it with the heat gun.

Heat Guns are cheap, easier and safer, so you may as well buy one. 

harbor freight has dual temp (572 /1112 f). heat guns for $10.00 and have 20% off coupons everywhere.