Light-O-Rama Forums

Expo 2016 - What's Important : FOOD!

LOR Staff

So for all of us going to Expo in Chicago this year, we should be in for a treat.  Chicago really means 2 things to me when it comes to eats (and if you've seen me, you know I like to eat):  Italian Beef and Hot Dogs.

Well, really that is not giving Chicago any kind of credit.  Big City = Usually wonderful eats of ALL kinds, and I've heards some musings about Pizza as well :P

I think we have the first two covered with Portillos.  There is one right down the street from the convention site, and a second nearby.  I'll be visiting there at least once.

I'm not a HUGE fan of deep dish, but that may because I've never had the REAL thing.  Lou Malnati's Pizzeria is also nearby and that will be a dinner stop.

I get to stay an extra day in the City.  It looks like there is a commuter railroad station not far from the facility that can take you inbound downtown.  I may be doing that and then wondering around.

So Chicagoans -- Whats your suggestion for some good eats that can't be missed while we are there?

DevMike as a lifelong Chicagoan Don't forget all our great steak houses.   Just a few Gene & Georgetti ,   Gibsons. Steak house   Also there is at great place for hamburgers a few blocks away called Hamburger Heaven.

Edited by Dennis Laff
  • Like 1

This is the first post I've seen on these forums for Christmas Expo and it's about a month away!

If you check out the Expo site and look at the class schedule, the instructors are listed. You know THEY will all be there. If dat be true, then I be there. Looking forward to it. 

The problem with Food here is that you need to narrow down the Cuisine you want first, before you can than start to narrow down the restaurants in that food group.

Dennis looks like it will be an easy commute for us this year.

Lou's is good but i prefer Giordano's for Chicago Deep dish. If you like a good steak like Dennis said Gibson's is awesome. Portillo's is always awesome grub, But if you want a Historic Hot dog place Gene and Jude's isn't to far from the convention center and good food, or if your near one Superdawg is one of my favs.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steelhorse said:

Lou's is good but i prefer Giordano's for Chicago Deep dish. If you like a good steak like Dennis said Gibson's is awesome. Portillo's is always awesome grub, But if you want a Historic Hot dog place Gene and Jude's isn't to far from the convention center and good food, or if your near one Superdawg is one of my favs.

Plus one for Giordano's......best pizza I've ever had.  I've even had it shipped to San Diego (frozen) and it's still........so good!

Excellent.

What I really look for in food is something I just can't get elsewhere.  Something that has a following, almost cult like.  If it's national, I don't want it.  

Last year In-N-Out made the list because I can't get them here + cult following.  Babes made it since there were a lot of people around who liked the style of the place online + I don't have them.  Gas station tacos just sounded to weird to pass up.

If you were in Buffalo I would point you towards a couple of spots for wings and beef-on-weck.  If you were in Albany I'd give you places for a fish fry.  In central/S FL it would be Cuban food.  In Cincinnati we'd be talking chili.

I do see the point about major metro areas..  NYC is the food capital of the USA -- they have EVERYTHING.  But even then you could have a 'Pizza, Bagel and Deli' war :D 

Regional, somewhat commoner, real, un-touristy and you think it does it best.  When in Paris I don't eat at McDonalds -- not even a 'Royale Cheese'. 

Imagine you have only one chance to sum up your area by taking someone to ONE place for dinner.  What would it be?  Bonus points if when I walk in  they give me 'Hey buddy, you don't live around here!' attitude. :P

e5d.gif

On 6/20/2016 at 1:25 PM, B.Y.R.G. said:

Plus one for Giordano's......best pizza I've ever had.  I've even had it shipped to San Diego (frozen) and it's still........so good!

I've lived in the Chicago metro area for the majority of my life, and I wholeheartedly recommend this!  Make a stop at Giodano's, even if it requires you to get your butt downtown and go to the one a block north of Millennium Park.  It's worth it!

9 hours ago, lkcubsrule said:

I've lived in the Chicago metro area for the majority of my life, and I wholeheartedly recommend this!  Make a stop at Giodano's, even if it requires you to get your butt downtown and go to the one a block north of Millennium Park.  It's worth it!

Exactly where my touristy butt had mine!  The Bean is cool.......errr Cloud Gate.  I also recommend taking a river boat cruise to view the downtown buildings and architecture...very informative with great views of the city.  Best thing is the boat has a bar for those drunken sailor types...hah!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That place was right by our hotel. 

We were temped to try it, but as my time was limited we opted for some of the recommended spots  ( giordano's/ portillo's )

• The topic was locked