Light-O-Rama Forums

re-write

jerrymac

2 years ago LOR announced they were re-writing the programs in NET 10 (?).  after a while it was announced that they re-write was being put on hold and a fix was being made (including adding the pixel editor). Resulting in 3 different LOR programs (sequence editor.pixel editor and super star).  

Has the complete re-write been scrapped or is it still in progress?

• Like 3

Jerry, I've been wondering the same thing. The original post also had the PE incorporated into the sequence editor, instead of a separate program. Something like, when in the SE, click on the PE icon and it opens up. make the effect, and it goes straight into the SE. Didn't happen like that.

Also, to use the PE, at least the last time I messed around with it, it would only output as an intensity file. This is the one of the reasons I don't use it, even though I have the Pro software. The reason being, sometimes I need to make changes in certain elements, specifically, text on the 2nd pixel tree. Since my second one is a mirror image, when I put a sequence on it, the text is backwards. I use the SE to copy and paste that section in reverse order to make the text readable. I can't do that with the PE. So, the PE, if it was on a CD or DVD, would be a cup holder now. I have no use for it. Not to mention the fact that it's just as cumbersome to use as the Nutcracker 3 program was or, at least it was last year. I haven't even opened it up this year.

Kinda getting off the original topic, but I am exactly the opposite on intensity files. Last year, the three songs that I added for 2015, were all done in SuperStar and output as intensity files. The few channels that could not be controlled that way (old controllers) simply were not used. I replaced the two old controllers in the spring sale and absolutely everything will be done in SuperStar and output as intensity files. There will only be one channel in the SE (since it won't let you gave zero), and that will be a dummy channel. I found last year that as my show gets larger, my old and slow show computer was not able to keep up. Intensity files solved that problem. However, I don't want to have to do some stuff in SE and most of it in SuperStar.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk

Oh, and I played with PE during the S4 beta, and never really "Got it". Have not used it since...

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk

its been a couple of days and no response re: the re-write from LOR.  Is there an issue?

I sure hope there is a re write ........I have PE and have no use for it also ......don't know if it;s just me but I've had to redo mistakes I did in PE and when I re imported it  things were really screwed up or my existing sequence wouldn't open it.....IMO it's quite clunky to use

I disagree. I use  all three of lor sequencing  programs  they all work in different ways the pixel editor is a fairly quick way to program a lot of pixels I used it last year without any problems.  If you used X-lights  nutcracker in the past it makes it a little easier to use

this isn't about issues with the current version(s), I only mention it because it runs like 3 different programs patched together rather than a single program.

It is if LOR is going forward with the complete re-write they have dropped the plan.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2016 at 5:26 PM, jerrymac said:

its been a couple of days and no response re: the re-write from LOR.  Is there an issue?

More than 7 years ago, a man started working for LOR who decided that he would make it his duty to act as liaison between the users and the company.  This person was someone who was involved deeply with the development of software and other LOR technologies.  He decided this because he had noticed that there really was a lack of information flowing from the company.  He visioned righting the one thing he thought the company was falling short on.

Shortly after this person discovered WHY only limited information was ever shared in advance:  Some forum users are just plain rude, even to the people who create the tech.  Regardless of the track record of the company, this vocal minority would take it upon themselves to berate not just the effort that was put into these new technologies but to insult the people themselves working on the technology.

The straw that broke the camel's back was one day he was (again) abused by one of these vocal few.  This 'member of the few' had previously complained that the company did not give enough information on future products.  When the LOR man pointed out that he was just trying to involve the customers, the member quipped that 'No one asked you to do that (keep people informed)'.  

For the LOR worker, the light suddenly came on as to why no one liked to come here in public with information.  Programmers LOVE to show off their new creations, but this very vocal minority would rather abuse the messenger.  This would lead to a lot of damage control that would need to be done.  Welcome to the internet.

So now a days, we neither confirm nor deny anything before it is ready for the public.  He learned his valuable lesson.

Users now complain about the lack of information - and rightly so.  But the amount of work saved by not dealing with fallout from the 'vocal minority' by releasing info is enormous.  

We'd also like to point out that we are not referring to any one user or even any of the users in this thread.  

The rotten apple does indeed spoil his companion(s).

Only an idiot would think LOR is sitting around the shop, drinking beer, and dreaming of sugar plums. I'm sure they are working on something. And that something, as usual, will address most of the users "wouldn't it be nice..." musings.

I'm hoping it will be big, even if it costs me more money (another common whine).

I look forward eagerly to whatever these guys come up with. New stuff has always made my display leap forward.

Thanks for the effort, guys.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DevMike said:

More than 7 years ago, a man started working for LOR who decided that he would make it his duty to act as liaison between the users and the company.  This person was someone who was involved deeply with the development of software and other LOR technologies.  He decided this because he had noticed that there really was a lack of information flowing from the company.  He visioned righting the one thing he thought the company was falling short on.

Shortly after this person discovered WHY only limited information was ever shared in advance:  Some forum users are just plain rude, even to the people who create the tech.  Regardless of the track record of the company, this vocal minority would take it upon themselves to berate not just the effort that was put into these new technologies but to insult the people themselves working on the technology.

The straw that broke the camel's back was one day he was (again) abused by one of these vocal few.  This 'member of the few' had previously complained that the company did not give enough information on future products.  When the LOR man pointed out that he was just trying to involve the customers, the member quipped that 'No one asked you to do that (keep people informed)'.  

For the LOR worker, the light suddenly came on as to why no one liked to come here in public with information.  Programmers LOVE to show off their new creations, but this very vocal majority would rather abuse the messenger.  This would lead to a lot of damage control that would need to be done.  Welcome to the internet.

So now a days, we neither confirm nor deny anything before it is ready for the public.  He learned his valuable lesson.

Users now complain about the lack of information - and rightly so.  But the amount of work saved by not dealing with fallout from the 'vocal minority' by releasing info is enormous.  

We'd also like to point out that we are not referring to any one user or even any of the users in this thread.  

The rotten apple does indeed spoil his companion(s).

Well said Mike. Even though we've had our differences in the past, it's that, the past. 

So, all that being said, Do we have something new on the horizon?:P Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Thanks for the information.  I read this forum EVERY day and do not remember any change in information or any notice re: information of what is in process until now.  It is certainly LOR's prerogative to announce what is being worked on or not.  Since it HAS been there history to discuss this type of information it seemed to be a reasonable request. I certainly hope your statement about rude people was NOT in reference to me or this request.  I have been a supporting customer of LOR for about 7 years and consider myself as a good customer.  :LOR has a good reputation for quality of product, quality of support but leaves some room for improvement in information flow.

The request was reasonable (based on past practices) as well as the request as to why no response had been made until now.

DevMike, There is no Like button on your post, too bad. Software vendors are in a no win situation, especially with a mature product like LOR. 

I might toss a suggestion out to the masses here. There is a big meeting in Chicago in a little over a month. Many folks from LOR will be in attendance. Some delivering classes. Come, meet the team face to face, establish a relationship and ask questions. 

• Like 1

Again, let me stress 2 points:

1 - That post was not directed at any one person in particular, anyone in this thread (except as to give an answer to their question) or even to those who publicly share their dislike for something in a constructive manor.  We (as programmers) rely on users to tell us when things are crap.  We don't mind when you tell us something IS crap.  In fact, we may even agree with you that it is crap, but there is not a lot we can do about it.  What is difficult to deal with is that small, but very vocal, minority of users who stomp their feet and berate the person.  We can debate, even HEATEDLY, about some function/system/code/whatever and go out for a beer after.  I'm good with that.  That is not personal.  But we have feelings too -- Call my CODE crap and that is fine.  Call ME crap and that hurts.  The latter has happened one to many times for all of us.

I understand that it is a SMALL minority that has ruined it.  Thankfully we can count on the majority of you to say 'We understand'.

2 - My post neither confirms nor denies that we are not working or are working on something.  

Personally, I also think LOR does a great job.  I'm a newbie this year, and I've only developed two sequences in Pixel Editor and two sequences in SuperStar.   I created a visualization of my fixtures/props against my house in PE, and a second one in Visualizer for SS.  Big deal, I had to spend some time in each.  But this is a fun hobby, and I actually enjoyed learning the different methods and benefits of PE and SS.  I really like both of them, for different reasons.  

As for Sequence Editor,  I only use it to quickly test my setups of controllers, pixels, and fixtures, as I solder my way through my props.  Running intensity files I create from PE and SS is easy (well, once you learn about PE's enforcement of keeping the intensity file in the same folder as the PE file), and sequence loading is quick because they're already "compiled" (to use an old programmer's term).

What is common to both PE and SS are the quick, accurate, and useful responses from Matt (PE) and Brian (SS) to every single question I've had, and the personal service they provide (including examining my actual files and phone calls).   

Ed

I would absolutely say they are working on something. The nature of any business is if you are not looking to improve then you will be out of business at some point in the future. They are always tinkering and keeping an eye on the forums. Sometimes if only to see the direction people seem to be going or how they are using the Light O Rama products. What they like and what they don't or even to see something and say "Hey, that's a good idea!" (Some sort of face designer with built in channel assignments, maybe? Santa, singing trees, pumpkins, etc.) Either way, with technical problems I am certain they are always more than willing to help as they want their customers to be happy and for audiences to enjoy their shows.

Who knows what they are working on (though we all know it is some sort of variation of beer pong ;)) but I'm sure it will be good.

Edited by BryanZ
  • Like 1