BSN

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a CTP16PC-ReadyToGO unit with the following:

Software level: basic

Software delivery: Download and CD

Connector: USB High Speed - USB485-HS

Cat5 Cable: 50ft Cat5 Cable

Mini director upgrade: Not Selected

Power Cords: Australian Cords

Operating Voltage: USA 120V (I think I might need to change this for Australia)

------

Gen3 Mini Director with MP3 Player

------

Plug-n-Show SD Card - 01

------

I was wondering if it's possible to increase the channels that are available on the main unit and if I need to buy anything else as all I have are some basic sets of lights.

Another question, how do the lights get different features programmed into them as they are just standard wall connection sets that are different from each other?

Thanks

You can download the software to try out the sequencer for free to help decide if it's the right thing for you.   Also, If you run the show from the computer as many of us do, you won't need the director.  Then again, many also use the director.

I would like to clarify my recommendation posted above. I know what you are going to say, I am only getting one controller so why get the higher license? Yeah, yeah, yeah, we know how this is going to turn out. You will get one now then you get hooked and one turns into two, then four, then you will be in here asking why the controllers won't work. Lets just save that conversation by getting the higher license now, you know you will be needing it later.  :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I would like to clarify my recommendation posted above. I know what you are going to say, I am only getting one controller so why get the higher license? Yeah, yeah, yeah, we know how this is going to turn out. You will get one now then you get hooked and one turns into two, then four, then you will be in here asking why the controllers won't work. Lets just save that conversation by getting the higher license now, you know you will be needing it later.  :)

+1.  I knew this would be the case for me so I bought the next level up because I didn't want to run out of channels. I planned on only getting two controllers but now have three. All bought within the last month. Listen to the man.

• Like 2

I agree with what those above have said about the software. I bought one of the lower levels of license, and was only going to one controller this year. . . Well, I fell into the "more is better" trap... 4 controllers later, I had to end up upgrading my software. Just do it now so you don't have to worry about it in the future. 

~ Matt

• Like 1

If you are in Australia, you may want to check that the lights you are using will work with LOR.

If they have a multi-function controller or a transformer, you will need to modify them or use a different controller.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone. I probably will go with the standard software license at least.

11 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

If you are in Australia, you may want to check that the lights you are using will work with LOR.

If they have a multi-function controller or a transformer, you will need to modify them or use a different controller.

What connections does the controller take? Have you got a photo? Do they plug in with the standard power point connection?

Edit: I found the connection type, none of my current sets have that connection. Where can I find compatible lights?

Edited by BSN
Better wording, Changed something

On 6/7/2016 at 9:28 AM, BSN said:

Edit: I found the connection type, none of my current sets have that connection. Where can I find compatible lights?

It is easier (And cheaper) to use a different controller instead of different lights.

The Light-O-Rama CMB16QC is perfect for lights that run on 24VAC. You will also need a 30v power supply.

Things get a little more complicated and hands on for us 240v people, but the controllers are cheaper. Unfortunately, lights are so much more expensive in the UK and Australia. 110v lights in the US are only about $4 a string. A small string for £15 ($20) here is cheap.

Another method is to buy a transformer and ship stuff from Amrica.

• Like 1

Thanks. Lights are a rip off but are very much worth it! Is there a link of a light shop that has them or does LOR sell them? (Can't see where LOR has them)

Edited by BSN

1 hour ago, BSN said:

Thanks. Lights are a rip off but are very much worth it! Is there a link of a light shop that has them or does LOR sell them? (Can't see where LOR has them)

LOL, how can they be a rip off and very much worth it at the same time? LOL

IMHO they are either a rip off OR very much worth it. :)

BTW, welcome aboard this great forum. 

• Like 1

Another vote for a higher license level. There are functions that require the higher levels. In my case I started with an Advanced license (the highest that there was at the time). I was one of the first 5 people to upgrade to the Pro level when it came out. In both cases, I am using functions that require the higher license levels.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk

4 hours ago, BSN said:

So where are some shops that sell the lights compatible with the LOR control units? 

Here is a link for CDI. They are currently having a sale too. Very reputable with great customer service. Email them about their sale.

http://www.creativedisplays.com/

Tom

23 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

Here is a link for CDI. They are currently having a sale too. Very reputable with great customer service. Email them about their sale.

http://www.creativedisplays.com/

Tom

The OP is in Australia... Using these lights will require transformers to change the 240v to 110v.

You can use your existing lights. All you need to do is remove the multi-function controllers and buy a 30v power supply.and instead of the CTB16PC use a CMB16QC.

One thing I've always wondered about the 240VAC countries, can't they use a "step-down" transformer to convert the 240VAC to 120VAC?   Then they could use the standard "American" Style lights and 120VAC for the CTB16PC controllers?   Or can't their electricians set up an electrical control box and use a different color outlet, like green, red, etc. to denote those outlets are 120VAC as opposed to 240VAC?

Or is this just not possible in countries that operate on 240VAC?

Would think it would be easy enough to make an electrical junction box that would convert the 240VAC to 120VAC and wire color coded outlets to it.   Or am I missing something?

p.s. Yes, I know it may be an expense, but wouldn't it be worth it in the long haul?

BTW: I also support getting the highest license possible, especially if you want more channels, the controllers can't do more than what they are built to control, i.e. CTB16PC is 16 channels, can't add extras to it, you'd need a second CTB16PC to increase the channel count if you need more than 16 channels.   

I tried starting with one 16 channel CTB16PC controller and the Standard License, in LESS than ONE MONTH, I needed a lot more channels, ended up starting with FIVE controllers{80 channels} and the ADVANCED license level. 

Believe us, the higher license levels opens up a whole world of options in the SE just not accessible with lower licenses, get the highest one and you really won't regret it!

On 6/10/2016 at 11:11 AM, EmmienLightFan said:

The OP is in Australia... Using these lights will require transformers to change the 240v to 110v.

I was going off the OPs original (first post) of "Operating Voltage: USA 120V (I think I might need to change this for Australia)" and other undetermined/undecided info in this thread.

When we have undetermined/undecided factors, it's hard to nail down a reference when asked where to get something.