Light-O-Rama Forums

Can controllers be mixed and matched?

not enuf fuses

I'm very new to this and have acquired two different versions of boards that I hope are compatible. I have two CTB16PC V1 boards and one CTB16D V6 board. Will I have any issues running them together to make a 48 channel setup? Are there any special instructions to do so?

Thanks,

Bill

Nope,

Just assign the ids to each controller in the "hardware utility" and then just daisy chain the controllers together with cat-5 cable.

You should be good to go!

Just now, canadianchristmas said:

Nope,

Just assign the ids to each controller in the "hardware utility" and then just daisy chain the controllers together with cat-5 cable.

You should be good to go!

Yup, exactly 

The only thing to keep in mind is that older controllers can not run the high speed networks, or the enhanced LOR protocol.

If you are not running either of those, then no problem mixing and matching. If you *are* running either of those, you will want to place them on separate LOR networks.

Thanks for the input. I was getting worried that I jumped into buying these without doing the research on them first. I'll just be using the three controllers in a daisy chain and run by SE so I don't think that would be considered a "high speed" network or an enhanced LOR protocol.

So, after some trial and error and a few crashed programs, I've gotten my CTB16D V6 board to be recognized by the software. I made up a quick sequence and tested it going to the controller. Worked great! I was surprised how easy it was. Now, I have to try daisy chaining the other two boards (CTB16PC V1) and get them to be recognized as unit 2 and unit 3. Any suggestions before I go in?

Edited by not enuf fuses

Easy peazy, connect each controller individually to the hardware utility and set the unit id then daisy chain them and you should be good.

Edited by Mr. P

11 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Easy peazy, connect each controller individually to the hardware utility and set the unit id then daisy chain them and you should be good.

That's it?? Sounds too easy, but I'll give it a go. Thanks!

Yep, it really is that easy.  To expand a little on what Don said, the older boards won't operate on high speed networks.  For this discussion, high speed is 500K or 1000K speeds.  Only the Pixcon 16 will operate at 1,000K, and only the newer cards (I believe pretty much the Gen3 controllers) will operate at 500K.  As far as I remember, any of the controllers will operate at the three slower speeds (115K, 56K, and 19K). 

BTW, glad you were able to successfully test the controller I sold you!  Although I did not expect any problem with that since it had been in daily service prior to me replacing it with a Gen3 controller...

• Like 1

• The topic was locked