Light-O-Rama Forums

Videos on Vimeo now include Algeria

Archer

As many of you forum visitors that have read some of my posts know, I have my videos on Vimeo through my website. Vimeo keeps all kind of stats that are fun to track. One of the stats is what countries are viewing your videos. Yesterday i hit the 50th different country that has viewed my videos over the last 2 yrs and the 50th country is Algeria. Not only are they the latest country on my list but they jumped to number 14 on my all-time list. Has anybody else added Algeria to their list of countries in the last couple of days and did they debut high on your list like they did on mine?.....curious as to why? 

kevinkolak.com

Don't know why, but I just never pay any attention to the stats on my Vimeo account.  Just doesn't peak my interest for some strange reason.

At the end of the vimeo video there is a timer and then it plays another video.    Sorry to bust anything, but I think when you get a big bump on views, it is because someone in Algeria walked away and vimeo keeps playing with no one watching.  :o:o:o

Like Orv  I have never looked in detail at the country list.  I have 45 but most are a minor percentage of total views and this info does not pique my interest.

If you desire views, linking your site kevinkolak.com will get you a lot more than plain text. 

Noone has "added" it. It just means that someone in Algeria watched some videos, or possibly ItsMeBobO was right.

Vimeo analytics are not as good as YouTube. I don't post much on Vimeo, but I probably should. On YouTube I can see that my light tutorials receive views from all over. 

uJTADrS.png

The views from Germany are so high because a video was created by some German guy about some software for the Pi called OLA, and I have instructions on how to install it on my channel.

How many views did you get from Algeria? Probably only a couple. Someone just found your videos and watched some. :)

EmmienLightFan....you say "I don't post much on Vimeo but I probably should". I have a subscription to Vimeo and then I upgraded to Vimeo Plus for a few more dollars. Along with the stats upgrade it gave me more storage. If you did not buy a subscription and then upgrade I don't think you know anything about the "Vimeo analytics being not as good as YouTube". On the other hand, I don't post at all on Youtube and do not know a thing about their stat tracking....didn't even know they kept stats. I know that if I upgraded to the Vimeo Pro I would get a bunch more than what I get now and what I get now is enough to keep me interested.

ItsMeBobO commented on the timer feature at the end of the Vimeo videos....if you do not hit the PLAY button it does not count so apparently they are using a "keystroke" method of some kind to do their counting.....just going by what they have written in their Q&A section.

Thanks for your comments guys

kevinkolak.com

Edited by Archer

21 hours ago, Archer said:

If you do not hit the PLAY button it does not count so apparently they are using a "keystroke" method of some kind to do their counting.....just going by what they have written in their Q&A section.

Not really keystroke tracking. Just when you hit the button. 

ItsMeBobO commented on the timer feature at the end of the Vimeo videos

When you finish a video, a counter starts on the preview of the next video in the playlist. When the ring forms a full circle the next video starts to play, and I assume this counts as a view. 

I don't think you know anything about the "Vimeo analytics being not as good as YouTube". On the other hand, I don't post at all on Youtube and do not know a thing about their stat tracking....didn't even know they kept stats. I know that if I upgraded to the Vimeo Pro I would get a bunch more than what I get now and what I get now is enough to keep me interested.

I have thought about getting Vimeo Pro. I do a lot of video stuff. Maybe I will.

Right now I much prefer YouTube, mainly because I earn a small amount of money from my various channels.

YouTube does have an incredible and powerful analytics system, which shows everything from what advertisers pay per view to audience retention. Really useful. I have not seen the Vimeo Pro statistics yet, but from what I have heard they are not as good.

I had 20 from Algeria.

I do not post on YouTube after having my posts rejected so I'll call you the authority on posting there. I really like Vimeo and will continue to use them. 

I just viewed another screen on Vimeo stats and it shows 96 countries and a total of 143,949 loads. 

I need to send a few questions to Vimeo and get the scoop.

kevinkolak.com

• The topic was locked