Light-O-Rama Forums

24 CCR tree

debtoews

9 hours ago, debtoews said:

Anyone got one of these?  If so what spacing...saw this today and now gotta have one for next year!

https://youtu.be/VOrSfcj6MIE

I picked up the 16 CCR tree version of this sequence. You can purchase from here: http://www.seasonalsequences.net/store/p60/Yabba_Dabba_Yuletide.html

These guys do great work and always look forward to seeing their next sequence.

Are you planning on getting the 24 CCR tree? I would highly recommend that you stick with a 12 or 16 CCR tree unless you are going to create your own sequences. The reason I recommend this is that most sequences are either 12 or 16 and it would be very difficult to find 24 unless you create your own.

Besides, an actual 16 CCR tree will cost you almost $4k I can only imagine what a 24 costs.

Edited by Mr. P

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Besides, an actual 16 CCR tree will cost you almost $4k I can only imagine what a 24 costs.

http://www.holidaycoro.com/16-CCR-Pixel-MegaTree-p/814.htm This is only $1150.

I picked it up on sale for $899 a few months back. So you can build one for a fraction of the 4k you mention. My wife would have killed me if i dropped 4k on lights.

I have a 24-CCR matrix, not as a tree but as a vertical panel. I love it!

You can see it in action here: 

I spaced the CCRs 6-inches apart (as the pixels are about 6-inches each) so they are evenly spaced left to right and top to bottom. I built a framework of 3/4-inch square aluminum tubing with "L"-shaped aluminum braces holding it in place across the back of the vertical square tubing. With 24-CCRs I can get some pretty good graphics as there is plenty of room to work with.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

I picked it up on sale for $899 a few months back. So you can build one for a fraction of the 4k you mention. My wife would have killed me if i dropped 4k on lights.

For those who only read the headlines:  The HC ribbons are NOT from LOR.  Nor do they have the warranty you'll get from LOR.  In fact, they might not have any warranty at all.  They're WS2811 ribbons, and very likely the absolute cheapest ones on the market.  Buyer beware. 

Edited by George Simmons

1 hour ago, jamills706 said:

I have a 24-CCR matrix, not as a tree but as a vertical panel. I love it!

You can see it in action here: 

I spaced the CCRs 6-inches apart (as the pixels are about 6-inches each) so they are evenly spaced left to right and top to bottom. I built a framework of 3/4-inch square aluminum tubing with "L"-shaped aluminum braces holding it in place across the back of the vertical square tubing. With 24-CCRs I can get some pretty good graphics as there is plenty of room to work with.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

I have been watching your youtube videos all morning in awe of that matrix. Good job!!

Gosh! Thanks so much!

I love my matrix - and sequencing for it really hasn't been that daunting of a task!

1 hour ago, George Simmons said:

For those who only read the headlines:  The HC ribbons are NOT from LOR.  Nor do they have the warranty you'll get from LOR.  In fact, they might not have any warranty at all.  They're WS2811 ribbons, and very likely the absolute cheapest ones on the market.  Buyer beware. 

Yes we aware of this but we are also aware of the cost difference. 4k for a tree is insane. Most of us also like the idea of being able to get our items from other vendors as well. This even includes Ebay. $899 for a 16 strand tree... Yes i will try my luck. The strands go bad... they are cheap enough to replace vs the LOR brand.

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Are you planning on getting the 24 CCR tree? I would highly recommend that you stick with a 12 or 16 CCR tree unless you are going to create your own sequences. The reason I recommend this is that most sequences are either 12 or 16 and it would be very difficult to find 24 unless you create your own.

Mr P- I currently have a 12 CCR tree and was going to buy 12 more to the the Halloween matrix next year.  Seasonal sequences is going to start producing 24 ccr tree sequences and as for the money...well we spent almost $9K in lights for our street this year (our show is 16 houses)  so a few more ribbons isnt an issue!  :-)  BTW- I only buy LOR products

Edited by debtoews

5 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

I understand that but those for $1105 ARE NOT CCR! The OP stated CCR.

If you want the cheapest tree possible you can always piece one together for about $400.

Edited by Mr. P

On 5/28/2016 at 10:15 AM, gsmith37064 said:

This is only $1150.

On 5/28/2016 at 1:52 PM, gsmith37064 said:

Yes we aware of this but we are also aware of the cost difference. 4k for a tree is insane. Most of us also like the idea of being able to get our items from other vendors as well. This even includes Ebay. $899 for a 16 strand tree... Yes i will try my luck. The strands go bad... they are cheap enough to replace vs the LOR brand.

Regardless.  Holiday Coro does NOT sell Cosmic Color devices OF ANY KIND, no matter what their website claims.  They sell generic ribbons with their brand controller.  Their controller does not run LOR/ELOR protocol and does not have the same functions as our CCR controllers.  And of course the aforementioned warranty and support.

We have had more than a handful of people upset at US that they can not connect HCs products to an LOR network like you can with LOR CCRs.  I personally have had a customer read me the riot act because his CCR tree (which was NOT a CCR tree since it was from HC) won't work with our MP3 director.  I believe we have pages on the website that explicitly say you can run a CCR tree from an MP3 director (and you can).  The problem is that the customer does NOT have a CCR tree.  

I've also mentioned before that supporting HCs hardware (or really any other mfg product)  is not possible for us.  Should your 'whatever you buy from them' not work, We can only do limited troubleshooting with you.  In a case for a tree like this, about all we can do is ensure you have our software configured correctly based on what you tell us.  If your set up still does not work, we can't help more:  we don't know if you have configured the product correctly, if the product is defective, etc.  

Many times we get requests where the users don't understand the base concepts of the hardware they purchased.  If they can't tell me what DMX universes they have assigned to this other mfgs controller, if they know how to wire adapters correctly, or whatever, I can't help them.  I don't know how to find that information for other mfgs equipment.

In both cases we will direct you to call HC at that point.  HC's normal responses are 'It's LORs fault, call them', or they will offer their 'configuration service' at an additional cost.  If it still does not work, you call us back.  The best we can do is again ensure our software is configured correctly.  If so, you (the customer) are now stuck in the middle.

Contrast that with using LOR products end to end:  We WILL support you so you can make it work in whatever configuration the hardware/software can handle.

We are VERY sensitive when it comes to this.  So if you are technically savvy, don't mind the risk, and want to save some money HCs 'Pixel Tree' is a cheap alternative to a CCR tree.  But calling an HC tree a CCR tree is NOT valid.

On 5/28/2016 at 6:07 AM, Mr. P said:

Mr P- I currently have a 12 CCR tree and was going to buy 12 more to the the Halloween matrix next year.  Seasonal sequences is going to start producing 24 ccr tree sequences and as for the money...well we spent almost $9K in lights for our street this year (out show is 16 houses)  so a few more ribbons isnt an issue!  :-)

24 minutes ago, debtoews said:

WoW- this really got off topic!

Seems to be the norm

• Like 1

That's because it seems people hate when you bring up Holidaycoro. **caugh George caugh**

Sorry but i don't see a reason to not mention one or the other. I have listed products for both Holidaycoro and LOR that i have actually purchased. But I am not a fanboy of either companies. I do like the price of Holidaycoro though and honestly the quality is good. At least for me that is.

And from what i can see... the end result is the same. I can use a CCR sequence without any issues once i remove the 6 channels at the end of each universe.

I have not experienced the issues that you mention DevMike. Dave from HC has treated my fairly. I do my research before i buy a product. If an end-user buys something from another vendor and it does not work... that's on them. But to be honest... Most should not deal with Pixels if they don't understand the basics of a network. But thats another topic for another time.

Deb sorry to have gotten off topic but all I was trying to do is give help on... do i dare say it... Holidaycoro CCR tree!!! :)

But to be fare... a lot of people do not know the difference. hell when i started i did not know.

Edited by gsmith37064
  • Like 1