Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR controllers on FPP

EmmienLightFan

For anyone running their show from FPP this year, this tutorial may be useful to you!

• Like 1

It's a way to control lights using a Razzberry Pi microcontroller.  Adds another layer of complexity with IMHO no advantages.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Adds another layer of complexity with IMHO no advantages.

It has advantages, in the right place of course. I run my show from one. I don't have a dedicated show computer and with RGB lights it's a must have, if your not running a pixcon that is. I have san devices controllers and they are not LOR compatible with the G3 show director. PS..they don't lag ;)

Edited by Need more lights

19 hours ago, KStatefan said:

Earlier this year you were telling people that this could not be done.

?

Me? What? Where?

I think you are referring to this thread.

It was JStorms who was wrong, I was agreeing with you!

22 hours ago, k6ccc said:

It's a way to control lights using a Razzberry Pi microcontroller.  Adds another layer of complexity with IMHO no advantages.

I'm trying it out for 2016. It is another layer of complexity altogether, especially when sequencing with LOR!

I am 90% going back to LOR in 2017, but FPP is fun to play with, and ultimately the show should be exactly the same.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

In my case, the lack of interactive support when using DMX would be a total stopper.  Interactives get used 365 nights a year (or 366 this year).  The interactives pretty well forces using a show computer.

14 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

In my case, the lack of interactive support when using DMX would be a total stopper.  Interactives get used 365 nights a year (or 366 this year).  The interactives pretty well forces using a show computer.

There is TONS of interactive ability, using the GPIOs on the pi, you can have up to 24 triggers off the pins which is more then any input pump can do.

You can also send trigger commands to it over E131, So you could even trigger sequences and video files in the pi from something like LOR.

So there is no lack of interactive support (in newer versions at least!) 

OK, Let me clarify. I can't do inputs with my current hardware if using FFP. I would have to run about a quarter mile of cable, and likely have to buffer the inputs so that hundreds of feet of wire would not cause false due to noise, and throw away my now useless InputPups.

I seriously looked into the FPP about a year ago and came to the conclusion that there really nothing to be gained by going that route - and as I said earlier, adding another layer of complexity.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk

6 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

I'm trying it out for 2016. It is another layer of complexity altogether, especially when sequencing with LOR!

I am 90% going back to LOR in 2017, but FPP is fun to play with, and ultimately the show should be exactly the same.

If you want to make life a little easier with the pi, switch over to xlights completely as it has many awesome RGB effects and it is free.

What is your reason for sticking with LOR software? is it the learning curve  for new software?

7 hours ago, canadianchristmas said:

If you want to make life a little easier with the pi, switch over to xlights completely as it has many awesome RGB effects and it is free.

What is your reason for sticking with LOR software? is it the learning curve  for new software?

This is a pointless thing to argue about. Different people prefer different things. I prefer LOR. It is expensive but worth every penny.

4 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

This is a pointless thing to argue about. Different people prefer different things. I prefer LOR. It is expensive but worth every penny.

Hi I did not think that we were arguing about anything, all you have shown me is that you are a LOR fan boy and completely closed off to any suggestion without even explaining why. I was legitimately asking you why you stick with LOR due to your displays increasing pixel count. Im sorry if you took offence to my question...

I personally used LOR software for 3 years and each time my display grew LOR became more and more problematic. To the point were I had to patch it to keep it running without lag. I don't think its worth the money to be patching and limping through faulty software. 

I think once you cover your ears and stick your head in the sand for innovation you've lost and your going to be left behind. Going to XL was the best thing I have ever done for my show thus far, but if something better comes out I will gladly approach it with a open mind. Rather then shutting down and clinging on to something I already know.

However I agree do what works best for you and makes you happy as this is only a hobby for most of us and should be kept fun.

I still refuse to show complete fandom to one product or brand.

Erm... Wrong person.

I use FPP, XLights and LOR. I just said that I can't sequence well In anything other. I am open to anything new.

• The topic was locked