Light-O-Rama Forums

Vertical matrix or horizontal matrix?

ebrown1972

Hello everyone. I have built a 1200 pixel matrix and tested it out. To make it I used a 4x8 pixel net made by holidaycoro. I set it up horizontally but after importing a few picture effects on to it such as Christmas trees and snowmen I noticed the images did not look the way they should. This is due to the net being 4 feet tall yet 8 foot wide. All of the images looked short and fat lol. So now I am considering using it as a vertical matrix. The images I think would look correct with this configuration.

I am just looking for some input on those of you who have used both vertical and horizontal matrices. I am sure I will be using quite a few images on my matrix and some scrolling text. I'm just trying to figure out which way to go and am hoping some of you can help me out with your experiences.

Thanks

As long as the pixel spacing is consistent vertically and horizontally in both the physical pixels and whatever you are using to generate the sequences (a visualization into PE or SSE, etc), it should not make any difference in the apparent "fatness" of the image.  Since the coro pixel net assures that the physical pixels are consistently spaced, just make sure the source matches that spacing.

As for vertical vs horizontal, I guess that depends on what you plan to use it for.  Since you plan on lots of vertical images, a vertical matrix would likely work better for you.  If you are going to do text, a long thin pixel ribbon is what you need.  I'm sort of toying with making a text ribbon that will be somewhere between six and 16 pixels high and at least 100 pixels wide..

If your software is trying to stretch the image, then it would look fat.

Just like if you got a tall image in Word (Or something else similar) and tried stretching it to fit a whole A4 landscape page.

Stop whatever you are using from scaling, so it doesn't stretch the image, and it should look OK.

1 hour ago, EmmienLightFan said:

If your software is trying to stretch the image, then it would look fat.

Just like if you got a tall image in Word (Or something else similar) and tried stretching it to fit a whole A4 landscape page.

Stop whatever you are using from scaling, so it doesn't stretch the image, and it should look OK.

Thanks. I did not think about scaling aspect of it. I will give it a shot

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

As long as the pixel spacing is consistent vertically and horizontally in both the physical pixels and whatever you are using to generate the sequences (a visualization into PE or SSE, etc), it should not make any difference in the apparent "fatness" of the image.  Since the coro pixel net assures that the physical pixels are consistently spaced, just make sure the source matches that spacing.

As for vertical vs horizontal, I guess that depends on what you plan to use it for.  Since you plan on lots of vertical images, a vertical matrix would likely work better for you.  If you are going to do text, a long thin pixel ribbon is what you need.  I'm sort of toying with making a text ribbon that will be somewhere between six and 16 pixels high and at least 100 pixels wide..

My matrix is 24x50. I wanted a 1200 pixel matrix and I wanted to use the complete 4x8 pixel node net

I use Paint.net to first draw/adjust my pictures.  You can adjust the number of pixels on the canvas to match your matrix, this way you can see just how it looks before inserting it into your programming.  Not sure what program you are using, I use Pixel Editor and just like EmmienLightFan said, unclick the scale option.

As far as vertical vs. horizontal, just make a second one so it becomes a square and you won't have to worry about it... heeheehee. 

Here is the one I built for last year.  It's 2 (Holiday Coro) panels high, x 4 wide., 16'x 16', 3843 pixels 63x64.  I plan to double it this year to fill most of the roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtro7jRWHOA

Edited by Little_b

On 5/12/2016 at 3:03 PM, Little_b said:

I use Paint.net to first draw/adjust my pictures.  You can adjust the number of pixels on the canvas to match your matrix, this way you can see just how it looks before inserting it into your programming.  Not sure what program you are using, I use Pixel Editor and just like EmmienLightFan said, unclick the scale option.

As far as vertical vs. horizontal, just make a second one so it becomes a square and you won't have to worry about it... heeheehee. 

Here is the one I built for last year.  It's 2 (Holiday Coro) panels high, x 4 wide., 16'x 16', 3843 pixels 63x64.  I plan to double it this year to fill most of the roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtro7jRWHOA

I too use pixel editor but when I un check the scale option I only get a line or 2 of pixels that show up. Or I might get a random blob of pixels but nothing even close to a pic I am inserting. They look great in the preview if I use the scale option.

This is normal for using a pic without resizing first.  That's why I resize it in Paint.net first.  That way I can determine how it will scale down and make any touch ups that are needed.  Even a non HD pic will have a lot more pixels to it than 1200, or even the 3800 I was using.

I remember jamills706 telling me about his 24 x 50 Horizontal Matrix........here have a look & see.   They are probably ribbons but close together like they are will make for good resolution.

Edited by lightzilla

15 hours ago, lightzilla said:

I remember jamills706 telling me about his 24 x 50 Horizontal Matrix........here have a look & see.   They are probably ribbons but close together like they are will make for good resolution.

Yes - my matrix is 24 CCR's mounted vertically on a framework of 3/4-inch aluminum tubing.

The verticals are 6-inches apart because that is the distance of one pixel in the CCR - sort of giving me square pixels.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions about my matrix!