Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting E682 to LOR

LaFaya

Hello, I am new to this is my first year and I need some guidance. I have three E682, regular incandescent lights, a 32 channel DMX controller, two thousand SW2811 RGB,  power supplies (5VDC and 12VDC), ect. My goal is to set up one mega Tree with 16 strings (50 pixels each), three arches, five mini trees, four Flood lights (RGB), and house and patio outline. ( I have a basic idea on how to do it but I am intimidated with connecting the controllers to LOR) I have seen so many  YouTube videos but I guest I am confusing my self. If someone can help... I need someone who can provide me with basic steps to follow.

how hard is to set E682 to LOR?

Thank you

LaFaya

1 hour ago, LaFaya said:

Hello, I am new to this is my first year and I need some guidance. I have three E682, regular incandescent lights, a 32 channel DMX controller, two thousand SW2811 RGB,  power supplies (5VDC and 12VDC), ect. My goal is to set up one mega Tree with 16 strings (50 pixels each), three arches, five mini trees, four Flood lights (RGB), and house and patio outline. ( I have a basic idea on how to do it but I am intimidated with connecting the controllers to LOR) I have seen so many  YouTube videos but I guest I am confusing my self. If someone can help... I need someone who can provide me with basic steps to follow.

how hard is to set E682 to LOR?

Thank you

LaFaya

Well, it depends... You have a lot of lighting for a first year decorator. The first thing you need to do is connect those e682s to your computer network and getting the E1.31 stuff working. Once that's done, it's a pretty simple matter to get the LOR software talking to the E1,31 devices, but there are a few steps involved.. How far have you gotten setting up the e682s to your computer?

Mike

Mike you are correct... I have lots of light and limited knowledge for my first year but I am determine to get this done. I have the three E682s connected to the computer on multicast E1.31 but I don't have a clue on how to connect the 32 channel controller to the E682 or to the computer. I think I can use up to 7 universe with the 682.  I am working an excel spreadsheet where I am assigning pixels to universes and making notes to keep this project as organize as possible.  My next step is to buy the software from LOR ( do you have any recommendations S3 or S4). I think I will  buy the LOR sequences this year and do my own sequencing as I progress with the software. I can believe we are in the month of May and I am talking and planing; I can't imagine what could it happen if I waited until November.

I was reading on LOR that you have to set your lights on groups of four but the layout ihave in mind is not on groups of four. Can i still buy the sequences and modify to my light layout?

PS. Thank you much for replying to my post.

LaFaya

Ok.  So e682 will connect via Ethernet to your pc.  I would recommend unicast over multicast....basically you will give the 682s their own address.  You will have to do this manually but it is real simple.  The e682 manual tells how to do this...if you still can't figure it out just ask again....but basically you just type your new address in the e682 setup window and hit apply.

i would strongly recommend a seperate network switch for just your e682.  You can purchase them for around $10 and this will simplify things later.  Also, a seperate show pc is recommended.

Dmx usually needs a dongle dongle to connect to the LOR network.  It is also e1.31 and also will connect via Ethernet but the controller needs to talk the correct "language" first.  The e682 can be used instead of a dongle but you will lose 4 outputs on that card.  Again the manual tells you how.

i would reccommend s4 advanced as a minimum software. S3 is replaced by s4 and s4 will continue to get updated.  Advanced level allows e1.31 and DMX to be used.  Pro adds pixel editor and more RGB channels.  You won't regret it if you can afford it now.

once you get your SW loaded then you go to the networks tab to assign it all.  It will make more sense once you open that up...but you assign the device to each network "universe" in that tab. 

Then set up visualizer...then start sequencing.

setting up visualizer will be a little challenging followed in difficulty level by setting up your channels in the sequence editor.  But it is all fairly simple with the help from the tutorials on this website.  Just time consuming.

you can download and set this all up before purchase.  Unfortunately you won't be able to see Dmx items in the LOR trial software but you can still see all the setup tabs.  Once you purchase and apply the license your work will still be there.  This will at least allow you to understand the requirements before you purchase.

also, think about the starter kits.  If you will ever purchase LOR products that will be put on the LOR network then you will need the LOR usb dongle.  You get a small discount to these basic needs when purchased in a starter kit...

good luck,

sax

Sax, Thank you for the information I will change the settings to unicast. 

Mike you are correct... I have lots of light and limited knowledge for my first year but I am determine to get this done. I have the three E682s connected to the computer on multicast E1.31 but I don't have a clue on how to connect the 32 channel controller to the E682 or to the computer. I think I can use up to 7 universe with the 682.  I am working an excel spreadsheet where I am assigning pixels to universes and making notes to keep this project as organize as possible.  My next step is to buy the software from LOR ( do you have any recommendations S3 or S4). I think I will  buy the LOR sequences this year and do my own sequencing as I progress with the software. I can believe we are in the month of May and I am talking and planing; I can't imagine what could it happen if I waited until November.

I was reading on LOR that you have to set your lights on groups of four but the layout ihave in mind is not on groups of four. Can i still buy the sequences and modify to my light layout?

PS. Thank you much for replying to my post.

LaFaya

You say your going to buy sequences your first year that could be difficult you have it seems like all smart pixels not many of lor sequences are for smart pixels make sure you check before you buy what type lights and controllers are used .

15 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

You say your going to buy sequences your first year that could be difficult you have it seems like all smart pixels not many of lor sequences are for smart pixels make sure you check before you buy what type lights and controllers are used .

The OP says he has a 32 channel DMX controller, so not all smart pixels. That DMX controller could be either a dumb RGB controller, or more likely a dimmer pack, as the OP mentions incandescents.

On 09/05/2016 at 3:37 PM, sax said:

Dmx usually needs a dongle dongle to connect to the LOR network... The e682 can be used instead of a dongle but you will lose 4 outputs on that card.  Again the manual tells you how.

Yes. Many smart pixel controllers have DMX outputs on them. This can simplify cabling, as you don't need a run back to the PC. The E682 can have one block of channels assigned as DMX. This means you loose four outputs, even if you only use one for DMX.

On 09/05/2016 at 3:37 PM, sax said:

It is also e1.31 and also will connect via Ethernet but the controller needs to talk the correct "language" first.  

Wait... What?

DMX is not E1.31.

E1.31 is Streaming Architecture for Control Networks (sACN), a protocol which carries DMX over Internet Protocol.

DMX (Digital Multiplex) is E1.27. It uses RS485 differential signalling to send data. DMX does not travel over Ethernet, but can sometimes use Cat5, Cat5e or Cat6 twisted pairs cables.

Yes, the controller does need to speak the same "language". We often use cat5/cat5e/cat6 with RJ45 ends for a number of different protocols. Just because they fit, doesn't mean they work. LOR uses it, Ethernet uses it, and so do some DMX devices. You couldn't connect a DMX cable to (the Ethernet socket of) an E1.31 DMX device, or vice versa, even though E1.31 carries DMX.

Even though LOR and DMX are both RS485 differential signals, they don't work together.