Light-O-Rama Forums

Need Advise on "Blinders"

BMurray

In planning on adding "Blinders" to my Halloween show this year. For those who use them what type do you use? LED floods or regular outdoor floods. I've found some pretty inexpensive LED 20 watt floods through LightingEVER.com.  I ordered a 20 watt and 10 watt and and tried them out. I plan on going with the 20 watt. I gotta say the thing is pretty darn bright. But before I order the rest that I need (12) I would like to hear input on what other enthusiasts are using.... Thanks

In my show I used 12x 100w incandescent floods spread across 5 channels. I picked incandescent floods on purpose as I liked the warmer light they gave.

I would only use dimmable. Even for blinders sometimes a hard start and end is needed, but with non dimmable that's your only choice. What if you want to slowly turn them off once you give that sudden burst of light. So do not fade them and such (I want blinders too, so I looked them up and what I found was not dimmable, unless I found something different than you are speaking of)

Of course, this is only my opinion.

"that jus me doh"

I, too, recommend going with only dimmable lights.  Sequencing is so much more than just ON/OFF. 

Incandescent single-color floods versus LED million-color RGB floods?  Not sure why that would even be a choice.  In case you haven't tried it, standing 10 feet in front of a shimmering RGB flood going through a color morph (or set on blue) is one of the most intense lighting effects this hobby has to offer.

Take every option that modern lighting offers you, even if it costs a few pennies more.  It's money well spent the first time.

If you have several LOR controllers going spare, then it may be cheaper to use incandescents.

RGB LED Floods give so much more though. Any colour, much sharper turning on and off (To look like traditional stage blinders you may want to ramp up for 0.05 secs at the start of a burst) and cheaper when including the cost of controllers.

I wonder what it would be like to have these...

HTB1NvHaHXXXXXXgXpXXq6xXFXXXR.jpg

I've made up my mind for better or worse. Who am I kidding this is gonna :blink::D:P ROCK!!! I'm going wait until the Summer sale and pick up (12) of the 50 watt RGB floods. A tad expensive (a hazard of this hobby) , but I pull a lot of overtime at work to be able to buy these awesome toys.  I've already let my neighbors know who are and will be in front of the danger :blink: zone. It's a good thing I've got cool neighbors around me. :D

1 hour ago, BMurray said:

I've made up my mind for better or worse. Who am I kidding this is gonna :blink::D:P ROCK!!! I'm going wait until the Summer sale and pick up (12) of the 50 watt RGB floods. A tad expensive (a hazard of this hobby) , but I pull a lot of overtime at work to be able to buy these awesome toys.  I've already let my neighbors know who are and will be in front of the danger :blink: zone. It's a good thing I've got cool neighbors around me. :D

600 watts of LED light?!

You may have planes trying to land on your drive...

I'm sure I will be able to spot your house from here in the UK.