Light-O-Rama Forums

16 Strand DMX CCR Tree

gsmith37064

DougP (http://www.wireframedlites.com/) and I are working on getting a Pixel CCR Tree frame built from 3/4" steel square tubing.

We are trying to get the top and bottom base size locked in. We have 4 ft for the top and 12 ft for the bottom. What is the general spacing for 16 strips? Right now at 12ft the spacing would be 7.5" on the bottom and 3" on the top. What do you guys think?

It comes in 3 sections that are bolted together. We are looking at 150 lbs right now but trying to get it lighter.

We are trying to get feedback so we can get the sizing locked in and get the prototype made.

Tree Frame.JPG

NOTE: This is a free standing tree with a support pole to stand it up.

Edited by gsmith37064

1 hour ago, 1983ss454 said:

This is the guy to buy them from, they were his idea and design and product.

Not only was he the daddy, but there's a distinct difference between the two vendors linked above.  One vendor, I've seen quite a few complaints about the product on various forums: cracking, discoloring, stretching, breaking, pixels falling out, cheap knockoff ... 

The other vendor (and those very same forums) I've seen exactly zero complaints.  I don't much believe in co-incidence, and I'm certain this isn't one. 

Be smart.  Go with Boscoyo.

Edited by George Simmons

3 hours ago, George Simmons said:

Not only was he the daddy, but there's a distinct difference between the two vendors linked above.  One vendor, I've seen quite a few complaints about the product on various forums: cracking, discoloring, stretching, breaking, pixels falling out, cheap knockoff ... 

The other vendor (and those very same forums) I've seen exactly zero complaints.  I don't much believe in co-incidence, and I'm certain this isn't one. 

Be smart.  Go with Boscoyo.

Nevermind.

Edited by B.Y.R.G.

I have purchased from both. I have had no issues with either whatsoever but I will say this. When it comes to the strips boscoyo wins hands down. I have both and boscoyo are much much better

It's not a debate over who is the "daddy" or which is better. The links for the strips are quick links to help complete the tree. Nothing more.

What we do need is feedback on the design of the tree so let's get back on topic.

• Like 1

If Your drawing is done to scale it looks a little wide at the base to me. If you're laying out pixels you should design it so about center of the tree is exact Square pattern with the nodes. So if your nodes are 4-inch spaced vertically the center of the tree should be 4 inch spaced horizontally. Keep the spread from the top of the tree to the bottom of the tree as much to a minimum as you can while still making it aesthetically pleasing this will minimize the Distortion of any texts or pictures that are put on it

Greg

This might look good on top of the tree.   Its a Moon to make the tree look correct for Halloween.  You can light it up as 1/4 moon, 1/2 moon, 3/4 moon or Full moon.  I made this up for the top of my tree to replace the Christmas Star and make it a Halloween Tree.

Moon.jpg

• Like 1

That looks good Todd.

How big is it? What about the weight?

Would you happen to have any pictures of your tree that you could post??

The Moon is 32" round made from 1/4 inch round rod with a 1/2 flange on the bottom to attach to my 1/2 inch pole.  It weighs only about 2 to 3 pounds.

I will see about getting a picture of my tree.

On 2016-05-06 at 8:23 PM, Grinch said:

The Moon is 32" round made from 1/4 inch round rod with a 1/2 flange on the bottom to attach to my 1/2 inch pole.  It weighs only about 2 to 3 pounds.

I will see about getting a picture of my tree.

That is a very interesting concept Mr Grinch. It would work in place of the Star no problem for Halloween.  I think you should start selling it. 

As for the tree I would try making it out of aluminum if it isn't to expensive.  

If Aluminum gets to expensive then using angle iron instead of square tubing will reduce the weight by half. 

I know you are a Halloween guy so make the top easy to swap from the Star to Moon.  Trees are expensive and if you can run it for Halloween and Christmas it just  better utilization of your money and Props.

Or

Make the design so that it could be a tree for Christmas and and a vertical Matrix fro Halloween