Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixicon16 Lights Question

sjsocane

Hey everyone. 

I purchased a Pixicon16 during the mad grab sale.  I am looking for RGB Pixel Nodes to go with the controller.  My question is when I look at lights on other websites the connectors all seem to be three wired connections (R,G,B I assume).  But for my RGB floods I purchased last year using the CMB24 it has four wires to connect to the controller (R,G,B, plus P). Am I missing something?  Do the RGB Pixels not require the fourth wire, am I looking at lights that wont work with the Pixicon controller?  I know the Pixicon controller has a spot for the fourth wire.  I am sure it is something simple I am missing but could any take the time to help me please.

Thanks in advance for your time in reading this..

Will 

The flood lights are "Dumb" lights require and use only 3 channels. Your CMB24 is a dumb controller.  The Pixcon16 is a smart controller and requires smart pixels,

Thank you for your response Jerry and maybe my question was confusing.  I understand the difference between dumb and smart RGB.  The Pixicon has four places to input the wires connected to each set of Pixels.  The wires I have looked at only have three wires, no power wire.  Is it because they are smart pixels they do not require the fourth wire?  Maybe this will help with my question. I see some are called 3 conductor and some are called 4 conductor cables.  In order to use them on the Pixicon system do I need the four conductor cables?  Does the "four" in the name of the product indicate a fourth wire such as the power wire?

Edited by sjsocane

Or am I completely looking at this wrong, Which is a highly possible.  So an easier answer would be the RGB pixels on sale at other competitive websites say maybe something on sale right now until may 8th..... Do those work with the Pixicon system and to connect them to the Pixicon do I buy a 4 conductor extension or a 3 conductor extension?

I know you asked Jerry and I'm not trying to step on his toes here, but...

not knowing the Alpha pix very well I will say that the some pixels out there require a "clock" wire and therefor have 4 wires. Most pixels only use 3 wire.

You are not stepping on anyone Saxon.  Thank you for your response.  So the clock is the fourth wire in Smart Pixels?

Does anyone know if the Pixcon requires the fourth wire to control the Pixel lights?  Sorry if I have confused anyone with the name.  It is the Pixcon sold by LOR.

DUMB RGB uses 4 pin wire output and the CMD24D controller. They cannot be used with any smart pixel controller.

The four pin allows the use of pixels that need the clock why. Not all use the clock. It's there for only when it's needed by the pixels. 2811 only use 3 wires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oppps...my bad with the name!! - sorry

same thing applies, with either and most.

It will not be the controller that will require the clock wire, it will be the pixels you select. The 4th wire is there on the controller in case you need it.

First let me say thank you to everyone who replied!!

So if I understand it right the fourth wire is more about the Pixel not so much about the controller. 

• Like 1

Clarification:

Dumb strings have 4 wires  (One is power and 3 grounds (Red, Green and Blue) although some are the 3 power and 1 ground.  

Smart pixels have 3 or 4 wires depending on which chip is used.  The three wire (WS2811 etc) have Positive, Negative and Data.  

Some other chip types require a 4th wire (Clock).  

Controllers that support both type of pixels have 4 connections to support the 3 wire and 4 wire type pixels.  

When using the pixel types that only have 3 wires the Clock connection is not used.  When you configure the controller for a 3 wire type pixel the 4th connection (clock) is ignored.

Generally pixels with Red,Green, Blue and Black wires are DUMB RGB pixels (although the 4th wire color can be a different color).

Pixels with Red/Green/Black wires the green wire is data (also not in EVERY case).

Wire colors and positions of where the connections are on the pixel are NOT set in STONE and occasionally are arbitrary.

Most often on smart pixels the side of the circuit card with the chip on it is the Data out side and the other side is the Data in side and marked with arrows showing the direction of the data.  If you see a pixel or ribbon with arrows on it you can be sure they are smart pixels (ribbons).

• Like 1

First let me say thank you to everyone who replied!!

So if I understand it right the fourth wire is more about the Pixel not so much about the controller. 

Correct. It's for WHEN needed. It's Not always needed.

Its important to understand that when it comes to smart pixels and controllers, there is NO factory wiring or color code standard set. The wiring can be in any sequence and the wire colors can be anything. You must pay close attention to the wiring or you'll cook your controller and/or the pixels. Pixel controllers also usually have different power capabilities on two halves of the card...so you could control 5V pixels on one side and 12V on the other. Be very, very careful to following the instructions on connecting these power supplies to the proper sides or setting jumpers to insure the card is wired correctly. Again, there is no factory standard. Trust me...I fried a P12S this way which was costly.

On the 3 or 4 wire things...some Pixels work with 3 and others work with 4 as already mentioned. Example as mentioned, the WS2811's use 3 wires whereas the LPD6803's use 4 wires. Also, some pixels use different color commands such as RGB and others are GRB, or BRG, GBR and so on. I've some new WS2811's that are not RGB rather GRB. You must test them to verify. LPD6803's are notorious for this issue. So if you order intelligent pixels for anything, I strongly suggest you order all up front for any prop you might fabricate so you don't get a different flavor later on when ordering more.

There are many intelligent controllers out there..the Pixcon16 from LOR, ECG-P12S from JoshuaSystems, Alphapix16 from HolidayCoro, E682 from San Devices. Each has its limitations and strengths and lots of reading is needed based upon your requirements.

Thank you to everyone who took time to reply!!! It has really been helpful and I have got some great advice.. You guys never let me down!!