Light-O-Rama Forums

Relay control

EmmienLightFan

How could I control a 5v relay board with a CMB24D or other common anode RGB controller?

I have a board that looks like this:

b.jpg

I could use a 240v relay and connect it to a dimmer pack, but I need the dimmer channels for other stuff, and I would prefer everything to be low voltage.

It is to control a smoke machine.

You can't use a relay board like the one above without some modification because those relays are ment to receive very low voltage from a arduino or a raspberry pi, that is why on a board like the one above you need to supply 5v and ground on separate pins wile the 4 input pins are low voltage io's. If you use the falcon pi player to run your show from a raspberry pi though that rely board will work of the gpio headers. You just would need to configure it in xlights channel config.

If you want a relay that would work of the CMB24D you could just buy a 12v relay like this one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/30A-dc-12V-Contactor-relay-Switch-DC-Power-Switching-Circut-Cooler-water-heater-/281566614621?hash=item418ead945d:g:qEcAAOSw1ZBUunaQ This relay will work with the CMB24D on 12v.

The other option you have is to make your own relay board. You will need some basic soldering skills to do this ok though. I don't have spicific instructions on how to do this either but it should be straight forward, here is a shoping list of parts you will need: 

Relays or solid state relays

Blank PCB

3 pin screw terminals (Not needed if you use solid state relays)

2 pin screw terminals

So hopefully you can figure out my relay board design.

One other thing you still have to consider though is: are you going to be doing a lot of fast on and off blinking with these relays? If you are go with solid state relays. If you feel uncomfortable soldering DIY relay boards with solid state relays on them here are some good AC solid state relays Link here. Note solid state relays can only switch AC or DC the relay you buy will specify that, if you try and switch DC with a AC solid state relay it will some times get stuck on, from my personal experience. If you want a DC to DC solid state relay look at these. You will notice these ones look almost identical to the AC ones I mentioned above. Be very carful what you buy and read everything to avoid getting the wrong relays.

Hope this helps.

I was going to do this for a couple of reasons.

1. Was to control a smoke machine remotely from a lighting desk.

2. To control snowfall tubes in my Christmas show, and a disco ball for Halloween.

I might just buy a DMX relay board from Ray Wu. Quite expensive but probably most reliable and easiest.

4 minutes ago, EmmienLightFan said:

I was going to do this for a couple of reasons.

1. Was to control a smoke machine remotely from a lighting desk.

2. To control snowfall tubes in my Christmas show, and a disco ball for Halloween.

I might just buy a DMX relay board from Ray Wu. Quite expensive but probably most reliable and easiest.

Here is a good deal on a dmx relay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Channel-5A-DMX512-Controlled-Relay-Switch-Kit-DIY-Converter-DMX-Dimmer-Relay-/171743476711?hash=item27fcb57be7:g:bZIAAOSwrklVKKF4

Just now, canadianchristmas said:

Actually those are the ones I want to get.

I have ordered from Dengquian (Earnest Liu) before and just sent an email asking for the latest price.

• The topic was locked