Light-O-Rama Forums

Multi-House Displays

Steven

For those of you with multi-house displays, how do you coordinate between the houses? Last year I had about 50 channels on my house, 10 on the neighbor's, and 10 across the street. We did it mostly ad-hoc. I started planning my layout early last year (our first), but the others waited until later. When I found out how their lights were wired, I added them to my sequences.

Last year two of us did sequencing, and I "cleaned up" the sequences I got from the neighbor. That seemed to work ok.

It has been suggested this year to have multiple people work on one song, each with the lights on his house, and then merge them together. I have my doubts about this method. Has anyone else tried this?

Having multiple people, with multiple houses work on the same song would end up rather chaotic...in my opinion.

I would suggest having each person work on their own sequence, and the others add some input.

I did 7-8 songs, 4 songs with 2 houses. I set a layout for both and then told the neighbor what I had in mind, and how I needed his house to be set up. He was pretty cooperative. He said his house was "my canvas"

Good Luck,

Scott

Shubb wrote:

Having multiple people, with multiple houses work on the same song would end up rather chaotic...in my opinion.

I would suggest having each person work on their own sequence, and the others add some input.

I did 7-8 songs, 4 songs with 2 houses. I set a layout for both and then told the neighbor what I had in mind, and how I needed his house to be set up. He was pretty cooperative. He said his house was "my canvas"

Good Luck,

Scott

I also agree with Scott. In our multi house sequence we did not have different people working on the same some. I can work however if you agree not to change the timing and event widths in the song. Someone can do that part and then lock the changes in place in the menu.

I did it by telling the neighbors how they should set up their strings on the houses. I copied some of the tracks from my house to paste into new tracks and that gave it a good start.

• 3 years later...

Going to resurrect this topic. This year our neighbors are coming on board. They are an older couple and do not use computers. They do however put up a few lights. They asked if they could be in the show and of course we agreed. I will have about 9-10 extra channels and the amount of lights they put up will only use 6.

So my question is, how should I sequence their house into the show? I think it would look weird if both houses were sequenced the same. This is our first year with 2 houses and it's got me stumped as how to go about sequencing the 2nd house.

Thanks for the help!
Larry

LarryandGlenora wrote:

I think it would look weird if both houses were sequenced the same.

No, it looks just fine, Last year we set our city trees with the same configuration (3-colors, 3 segments = 9 channels) and I just copied and pasted between the houses. Our eaves are also sequenced pretty much the same. It makes the houses look like they are part of the same display, which is the desired result.

I do all the sequencing.

do it two ways:

1. You program their lights independent of your display and have them working like you think you would want them.

2. Above, and use their lights to supplement the display.

For instance, in Reflections of Earth: Have the lights chase around the block as the drum beats get faster and faster.

Agree with Steve. I think it would look just fine.

For a few years we have sent the timing signals to both house on each side of us and it looks good with the same sequences. In fact we think it looks better and more uniform.

We started out by copying and pasting some of the same channels from our house lighting patterns and used them for the adjacent houses.

I would think any way would look good...depending on the song(s)...

I.E. Dueling Jingle Bells...

I would have each house "dueling" each other...

Robert G. wrote:

Don't know if this was mentioned, but why not go wireless? Sync up all the controllers and have your neighbors be wireless where your house is the main control.

We'll actually that is what we have been doing. We loan the neighbors a controller and a wireless unit. The rest is easy.