Light-O-Rama Forums

controller stand/mount?

rcktpwrd

I picked up a couple more controllers during the mad grab B) and I am looking for a stand to mount them to. My first controller I got was from a friend and it already had a metal frame stand that goes into the ground, the controller is bolted to it. It's about 3 feet tall overall. Works well to keep the cord ends off the ground. When I got a second controller I just piggybacked it to the first one, sandwiching the stand between the two controllers. 

Now I have two more controllers that need to be mounted to something but I can't seem to find any stands... What are you guys using? They are CTB16PC units.

Thanks,

I have a couple the for sale sign frames from Lowes... I also made a couple simple ones out of 2X4 that work well..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Old Sarge said:

I have a couple the for sale sign frames from Lowes... I also made a couple simple ones out of 2X4 that work well..

How do the for sale frames work?  I can't see paying $30 per stand for these units, so I'm always looking for a cheaper alternative. 

• Like 1

The metal stands are really nice and do hold well. I use a bunch of them and yes, they aren't cheap for what they are. I saw a youtube video yesterday of a kid who makes a simple one of pvc tube, couple of tube clamps and stakes into the ground. Super cheap, should work although I'd stick a piece of rebar through the the tube to help support it. The design will only hold one controller but hey, it only costs like $1.

Go to Home Depot or Lows and buy a piece of Superstrut  and a couple of lengths of EMT and make you're own. Simplest solution I've found and you can make about 6 or 8 stands from 2 EMT and 1 Superstrut. You need a few 1/4" bolts and large diameter washers too.

• Like 1

I have had no problem with the couple I use.. all I did was add a piece of plywood to the frame and mounted my controller on that.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=66055-37672-842218&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3037185&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

15 bucks and will hold 2 controllers with no problem. could probably add controllers on both sides but I just have the two controllers for my faces on it.

• Like 1

I took one inch pvc and screwed into the back of the controller. And just drive rebar in ground slide pvc on the rebar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Old Sarge said:

I have had no problem with the couple I use.. all I did was add a piece of plywood to the frame and mounted my controller on that.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=66055-37672-842218&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3037185&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

15 bucks and will hold 2 controllers with no problem. could probably add controllers on both sides but I just have the two controllers for my faces on it.

Old Sarge,

Do you have any pics of this setup?

Thanks for all the other suggestions as well! :)

I took one inch pvc and screwed into the back of the controller. And just drive rebar in ground slide pvc on the rebar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant back of the case

Check with your local realtors for old metal frames.   Buy them at scrap metal prices, spray paint, bolt in a piece of thin plywood and they hold up to 4 controllers (two sided) and an outside outlet with rain cover.  Often, they'll even give them to you for free just to haul them away!       I recommend used ones, but here's a sample of brand new ones for $20 ea.     http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pack-18-X24-REAL-ESTATE-ANGLE-IRON-FRAME-YARD-SIGN-/222102125986?hash=item33b6517da2:g:rqQAAOSwa39UubPC

We need to keep our connections out of the snow here.

• Like 1

sorry I dont have any pics but just measure the size of the plywood you need to mount in the frame where the sign would be... drill a few holes in the side mount it and then just mark and drill holes whrer the screws need to be to mount your controllers... Its not rocket science.

• Like 1

That is a great idea.  Much cheaper than buying stands anywhere else, and I can get 4 controllers on one stand if I needed to. Thanks, Sarge.

• 5 weeks later...

I have some mounted on a piece of plywood, then staple a black trash bag over them to hide them.  I also use conduit hangers as well.  I bolt it to the controller and hang them on my Mega Tree Pole.  You could also use left over scrap pipe and drive it in the ground and use them wherever you need it.  Pretty cheap that way. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-1-1-4-in-X-1-1-2-in-Conduit-Hanger-67830/100152234 

I took a quick example photo of what I'm talking about.  I do the same thing to hang some of my RGB Flood Lights. (which is why this pic shows them in the flower bed. Not where I usually keep the controllers)

Controller Hanger.jpg

Controllers.jpg

Edited by Little_b
  • Like 1