Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixels static on

zvacman

Hi, 2nd year newbie here.  I started last year with 2 110v 16 channel controllers and ended up with 5. This year I will have 6 plus 4 24 channel LOR RGB 12v controllers and 4 E682 pixel controllers.  On to my question.  Is it hard on the pixels, controllers, or power supplies to run them on static full white?  I have the static full white come on about 45 minutes before the show begins.  Then the show is about 20 minutes long followed by 10 minutes of static full white from 6-9.  I need to do this to keep the traffic flowing.  We had nearly 1000 cars last year, it was absolutely unbelievable.  Hopefully everything goes well and the guests will be in for a real treat!  I was going to outline my house with pixels and regular LED's for the purpose of static, but that's a lot more work.  But then again I have enough extra channels to do both which could be cool.  So in the event I don't have the time to decorate my house twice, is it harmful to run pixels on full white?  Any input or experience would be appreciated.

Z

Edited by zvacman

No, it's not a problem as long as the power supply is not overtaxed.  You may find that you really don't want to do that however as it will be VERY bright.  I know with my pixel tree, just the 600 pixels of the tree and 360 pixels of the star make A LOT of light when full white.

I had everything on white after my animation sequences finished at 21:00.

Also I had everything full white with red sparkles between every other sequence, and TSO's Christmas Carol opening playing.

I'd say the answer to your question boils down to the math and product selection.  Blinking lights can hide some indescretions that will come out when you run full power over longer periods of time.    I wouldn't expect that it would hurt your strips unless perhaps you have modified them from their original factory condition.   If you've calculated/measured your amperage draw and its within your power supply specifications plus a safety margin (Perhaps 20% or so) you should be safe on the power supply as well.  I would imagine that cooling your power supplies would be the consideration.   Pushing your power supplies causes heat that must be dissipated and the amount of heat and PS heat tolerance can be affected by the quality of design and manufacture.   You'll have to at least consider where you mount your controllers (inside or outside) to see if the ambient temperature will help you shed that unwanted heat, and what kind of enclosure (ventilation) you use.    Overheating elevates your risk substantially.   Other than that, you should be good.   YMMV.       

I always leave 20% on top of the total power usage when full white.

No PSU failures yet.

I use cheap ones from Ebay but this year I sm stepping up to mainly fake Meanwells.

I guess I miss-spoke in my original post. I meant to say on all white, not necessarily full on.  I did some tests with my pixels and 50-60% in the dark will be plenty.  I used the term full on white due to the fact that I need to combine full red, green, and blue to make white.  I don't think that heat will be an issue in the enclosures since its cold here at Christmas time. Thanks for the comments, I'm going to download Clyde's power spreadsheet tonight and make sure I stay below 80% on the power supplies.

Z

The other part of that is you may want to play with the color balance to see what color of white you really want.  Most of the RGB pixels are pretty blueish white when all three colors are on at the same intensity.  Power them up and play with the levels to determine what color you like.