Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving to a new house that may not work for a show

TheUltimate

Hi All!

We are moving into a new house and the more I think about it I'm not sure it is a good spot for a light show. We will be on the corner of a busy county road (two lanes in each direction divided with a median) but the front of the house faces a residential street. Initially I thought it would be fine as there are shoulders on the busy street and the house doesn't face the busy street anyway but is visible. Yesterday as I was driving by the new house (I travel past it almost every day) I was noticing the plants starting to poke through the ground and looked up just in time to see the cars in front of me had stopped at the stop light about a quarter mile down the road and backed traffic up. I avoided an accident but that got me thinking that a light show could easily distract many drivers and cause accidents and possibly injury. This then made me wonder if a driver that got distracted and caused an accident could sue me for causing the distraction and being liable for the damages. I'm no lawyer but people sue for everything these days and no one takes responsibility for their own actions. I really enjoy this hobby but also want to be a good neighbor and responsible citizen. If it's just not a good idea then I want to do the right thing. If any of you have shows near busy streets and could share your experiences I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

I don't have experience on a busy street, nor am I a lawyer, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. But if you swerve to miss someone standing at a street corner, can't sue the pedestrian. Driver has to be accountable for the vehicle under his/her control. 

It's great you're considering everything. I think you'll make the right decision just because you care enough to think about it in the first place. 

Good luck. 

• Like 2

You may want to call up your local legal firm and run this by them. Could not hurt plus its a free call/email. People are crazy today and i think they look for any reason to sue.

You website looks really good. Can i ask where you got the template from?

Mega....if you swerve to miss the pedestrian but hit another car causing a catastrophic injury I bet the pedestrian gets hauled into the civil lawsuit....I'll be staying in a Holiday Inn Express in the near future....does that count?

• Like 1

Kevin,

I do forget about the civil side too much. There is always a lawyer willing to try. So costs you a bundle to prove you did nothing wrong. 

I probably ought to check back into a room tonight - for a recharge. 

Daniel

Be sure not to use the "L" word (logic) when explaining ANY THING involving our legal system.  Lawyers just LOVE logic as they like to bend it every way but loose.  Only thing you can count on is our tort system is out of control. (soap box down now) !

Might want to consider a supplemental liability policy for your show. Then the insurance company pays claims or pays for the lawyer to defend you if someone tries to sue you.

Sent from my SM-G530P using Tapatalk

If your worried about getting sued, ask your insurance agent for an umbrella insurance policy. I had to get one for work for $1mil. Costs about $30 a month. Covers you incase you get sued for any reason. 

Most of that depends on the state you live in. Different states have different laws... In California a pedestrian ALWAYS, BY LAW HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY.... even on a freeway such as the interstate here.... thats is why traffic was stopped so much by the black live protesters here a few months ago.... Even in the drivers handbook here it says a pedestrian ALWAYS has the right of way.

None that were walking on the highway were arrested... traffic was blocked for a couple hours and cops tried to block access areas so others couldnt walk onto the freeways.

The best thing for you to do is check with your local police... they should know and even better yet.... call the local District Attorney office and ask them. They are paid by your tax dollars and should be able to answer that question with no problem... I winder... even though it is a law to drive distracted and a big fine if I get caught on my cell phone or texting.... can I blame that on the company I have my cell service with? 

I had the same concerns you have, this past year was my first show and I was not sure what was going to happen. I live in northern Wisconsin at an intersection of the main Hwy and county road, which does have alot of traffic. I talked to the mayor, and the police chief about what I was doing, and my concerns that it could cause traffic problems and the liablity of any accidents. I was told that there is no liablity on my end. If there were to be accident from someone not paying attention to the road, its all on them. I don't think either of them had any idea how big of a distraction an LOR light show could be. I did not have to big of a traffic problem, but there was two fender benders from drivers stopped in the intersection, waiting to turn. Over all it was very positive, and everybody enjoyed what I had done. I would check with the local law enforcement, but it sound to me that all drivers are responsible for there own actions.

Gary

[sarcasm]

I think you should do it... There is no downside. You will be helping the community and its economy no matter how you look at it.

You could be helping fund the legal system, the hospitals, insurance, auto dealerships doing bodywork, landscapers, home repair... The list could go on and on.

Maybe some child might get a smile from viewing your show and go on to invent great things. But that shouldn't be a factor here.

Some lawyers are nasty people.

[/sarcasm]

• The topic was locked