Light-O-Rama Forums

Naughty / Nice Machine

Brian Mitchell

I want to build a naughty / nice machine for visitors.   I'm wondering if anyone else has built one as I am looking for ideas.   Would love to see pictures.

I will run it off one controller and trigger it from a button on the machine.

Using an LOR controller would allow you do do some interesting effects....  When the button is pressed you could alternate between naughty and nice, slowing down and eventually stopping on the correct choice.  The other 14 channels could be put to good use with effects, maybe some lights around the person (like a picture frame) that chased, a few strobes, a bright red spotlight shining back on the child if it comes up naughty (the 'devil' lighting look), etc.  You could wire a relay to one or two channels that sets off a cheap MP3 recording of 'TA DA!' or '..sad Price is Right trombone'

If you go with the LOR, I would think you would create a 'podium' of sorts with the instructions "Instant naughty nice test!  Kids!  Stand behind the (thing you make).  Parents -- let our direct connection to the north pole tell you if your child is naughty or nice! Press button to start.",  Something that will attract the attention of the PARENT and child.  Build the podium up higher than 'child size' to hide the 'secret' from kids.  Cover the switches with small opaque door (like wood).  The parent should instantly understand they need to open that door and in there are the 2 buttons.

For the controller, simply create 2 shows, one that ends up naughty, the other that ends up nice.  Load those into a controller that can handle stand-alone sequences, setting each to run based on a trigger.  There should be a header on the LOR controller where you can connect switches.  Follow the instructions in the manual and you are all set!

I have also heard of people using wireless transmitters in their pocket which fire off the 'trigger' for the controller.  They keep the remote in their pocket, and then glance over at the parents.  A quick nod or shake (trust me, they'll know what the deal is when you look at them) will tell you which the kid is.  Much more 'magical' since there is no tip off.

1 hour ago, DevMike said:

For the controller, simply create 2 shows, one that ends up naughty, the other that ends up nice.  Load those into a controller that can handle stand-alone sequences, setting each to run based on a trigger.  There should be a header on the LOR controller where you can connect switches.  Follow the instructions in the manual and you are all set!

I didn't think I can load more than one sequence into a controller unless it's a director.