Light-O-Rama Forums

Sync Music

Dave Mendez

Hello,

I am new to this Light o Rama and I am looking forward to hopefully purchase and have it this year for Christmas. My question is

Can the Light o Rama display the animation of music without syncing them to the music? (Does it make sense?) Probably not.

I seen at the store that they sell those boxes that you plug the lights and it makes the lights sync to the music automatically.

I was thinking on just putting some tracks together and have the light o rama sync it automatically.

Of course ill be making my own sync music to the lights. I am just curious if this is possible.

I hope it made sense.

Looking forward to this Christmas.

Thanks,

Dave

If you want your lights to be synchronized to music, then you will have to program them to do so.

Light-O-Rama does not have the ability to automatically have your lights blinking to music.

Not directly.  There are a couple things that sort of do what you are asking.  The first is the VU Wizard which will flash lighting channels based on audio level.  It takes quite a bit of setup so it's not very automatic.  The closest to what you want is the Instant Sequence function in SuperStar Editor.  Note that SuperStar is an add-on program that is included with the LOR software installation, but takes an additional license to be able to export work done in SuperStar.

I really don't know how to put this without it coming out mean but I am really not being mean, just honest so please don't be offended. This isn't a lazy man's setup, there is a lot of learning and time needed. You will only get out of it what you put in to it. If you put nothing in then you will get nothing out.

These programs are pretty powerful and can do whatever it is that you want them to do but it takes time. If all you want to do is have random flashy lights to music then I would recommend that you go with the boxes you see in the store and save some money. However, if you want to go all out and make the lights dance like you never thought possible or listen to all the oooohs and aaaws then by all means get a system and learn how to use it. There are literally hundreds of people on here that will help you get started with some free sequences and the knowledge in these forums is unquestionable.

This obsession hobby is habit forming and if you are not willing to jeopardize your marriage, money and time then please don't start.  :)

Lol no worries not offended at all. I was just asking if this had the option to do that too. Trust me I would love to have the music to my own lights and then see how everything comes together. I done a few in the demo. Yes I agree takes a lot of time but its well worth it.  My idea was to have the christmas light synced but also have random music playing to lights during days that its just displaying. Like for a Monday and Tuesday and then the real show on Wednesday thru Sunday. Something like that.

Also while the random music is playing I would be outside dressed as Santa and dancing to it too. and handling out Candy Canes.

Something like. Its still a work in progress. lol

Thanks for the advise tho.

Dave.

Just my opinion Dave. If you go to the effort of sequencing and setting up your display, get the most out of it. Run the show every night, start early, and run late. Those last two actually have a double meaning. First is time of show. I start as soon as it's fairly dark (5:00 around here), and run till 10:00 on Monday through Thursday, and 11:00 on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Christmas Eve and night I run till 1::00 AM. Part two is how days you run the show. I think most of us start sometime Thanksgiving weekend - I normally start on Friday. Don't be in any hurry to shut down after Christmas. I know some people shut the show down the day after Christmas, but many of us go to somewhere around New Years Day. I normally go through the weekend after New Years Day. For the upcoming 2016 show, 1/1/17 is Sunday, so that will likely be the last show for me - unless I get requests to go longer. I know weather plays a factor for some, but not normally an issue here in So. California. I run every night regardless of weather.. I don't want someone driving over to see the show only to find it's not running. Some people also run different shows on different nights, or even early vs late each night (more kids stuff earlier I assume).

OK, enough ramblings...

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk

Hey thanks for that advise I was also wondering for how long to run it and when to start it.  And you have answered that

How long does a typical show last? And do you rerun it after that over and over again? 

thank you for the help. I am learning a lot.

Dave.

Edited by Dave Mendez

1 hour ago, Dave Mendez said:

Hey thanks for that advise I was also wondering for how long to run it and when to start it.  And you have answered that

That's just MY opinion...

1 hour ago, Dave Mendez said:

How long does a typical show last? And do you rerun it after that over and over again? 

That is all over the map!  I have visited shows that had not repeated in over an hour, and some only a couple songs.  Part of that is traffic management. I don't have a traffic problem so that is not an issue for me.  Since my show computer logs the songs being played and saves the log files, here is the first cycle for Christmas night:

12/25/15  17:00:04  Show announcements.
12/25/15  17:01:33  Wizards in Winter.
12/25/15  17:04:39  Christmas Canon.
12/25/15  17:08:58  Jingle Bells.
12/25/15  17:11:37  Hark! The Herald Angels Sing.
12/25/15  17:15:10  God Bless the USA.
12/25/15  17:19:38  Extended Merry Christmas clip.
12/25/15  17:19:50  Deck the Halls.
12/25/15  17:23:33  Carol of the Bells.
12/25/15  17:26:59  Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer.
12/25/15  17:30:10  Soldier's Silent Night.

12/25/15  17:33:54  Show announcements.

Then it repeats after that.  The evening show starts at 5:00 PM and runs until about 9:00 PM.  Then the night show runs until 10:00 or 11:00.  The only difference between the two is one channel that controls power to the amplifiers for the speakers in the front yard - no speakers after about 9:00 PM.  After the show ends, I use Zara Radio to play a wide variety of Christmas music over my FM transmitter until just before the show starts at 5:00 the next evening.

The show player loops your show until the end time, when it will gracefully shut dow to n by finishing the current song, playing the shutdown sequence and then stopping.

You can be outside dressed as Santa while sequenced songs are playing.

The SuperStar automatic sequencing is not live, so you have to play it from the show player.