Light-O-Rama Forums

Opinions Wanted

lightingnewb

I'm sure this has been asked before... and it is shameful that I'm asking this, being a 2-Year veteran at this addic- hobby now...

But does anyone have advice on how to light up a "Tune In" sign? The spotlight we've been using the last 2 years is WAY too bright and takes away from the light show. Ours was a spotlight socket bought from Home Depot, required a spotlight purchased separately. Both times we've been duped with a too-bright bulb. Disappoints me that HD would not be as helpful when we mention WHAT we're lighting up to them (including the fact we do a LIGHT SHOW. Beggars can't be choosers, though.

Looking to find something a little less bright and something fairly cheap - $16 or less.

Thanks.

The tune to sign from HC is what I use and like very much.  But before that......

i got stencil letters and a black  foam board from the dollar store, turned the letters around and found they glowed under a black light.  It was pretty cool. It lasted until it rained but worked in a pinch. 

Coating it in varathane would have  made it weather proof. 

Don't spend any money - if you like your sign. Put the floodlights on a spare channel and set it at 50%. (Of course - only as long as they are dimming capable.)

• Like 1

I too use the Holidaycoro sign. I bought an off spec one and it saved me a few bucks. Some of my led's were a little loose but some hot glue fixed that.

holiday coro sign used here to.  I really like it, I got 2 one for each corner of the yard and light it at 50%.  my visitors always ask how i made it...lol

I use the led spot light they sell at Christmas time from Lowes. not to bright  10$ comes with the little yard spike

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Thanks to all who responded. I heard a ton of great feedback, most were suggesting holidaycoro.com, others suggested their own ways. I've done some research and based on the small budget I've allowed myself for this piece of the show, I'm either going to buy a dimmer light bulb (39-watt) or I'll resort to HC. Since I'm a long ways off, I can experiment as I need. :P

Thanks again for the input, everyone. I love this community and how team-oriented or success-oriented you guys all are. :)

maybe just connecting it to a dimmer switch and see if you can dim it down that way.. Just put the switch in a sealed box such as a plastic or rubber maid so it doesnt get wet.. maybe hide it by wrapping it like it is a present or connect it to the back of your sign.