Light-O-Rama Forums

Mixing Music

Ralph A

This will be my first year to do the LOR thing. I have my plans and music picked out and will start sequencing in the next few days. I want to mix my music, crossfade it with an external program (Mixmeister) burn it then rip it to the MP3 format for the LOR sequencer. My question for you veteruns is, will I run into trouble sequencing this by not having my songs (six) individially divided? I would think not due to just saving my work as I go. However, I am not yet familiar with the software. Any Ideas?

Thanks Ralph

A couple of thoughts come to mind...The crossfaded songs will sound nice and have good transitions.

But then you'll be locked into the same order of the songs, and unless you insert announcements into the cross-faded portion when youdo the original sequencing, it may be difficult to go back in and add any announcements?

I have used wav files for my LOR sequences, but others here do use MP3 files. I believe there has been some trouble with MP3 files that have variable bit rates, so you can read up on that a bit. I've not had any trouble at all with Wav files...

With a long sequence comprised of several cross-faded songs, you may get a bit burned out on the sequencing. If you didn't finish the sequence in time, you may have to trim off some of the music....

I sequence songs individually and then mix and match them with different announcements later when building the "Show", and that has worked pretty well for me....

Let us know what you decide to do.....Thanks, Randy

Ralph,

Last year, I did as you are planning, crossfaded all my songs together into one sequence. Not sure I will do it that way for this year though for all the reasons that Randy mentioned. The first year, I used voiceovers by the Demented Elf and everyone loved them. This year, I was unable to use any because I forgot to include them when I set up my soundtrack. Everyone missed them and asked why I didn't use them. Also, sequencing one long song was a real pain, especially without having the ability to "play from this point forward" in LOR. I may do a combination this year, crossfade two songs and then leave a break to insert voiceovers. Finally, even though I used approximately the same number of songs both years, last year it seemed I would never finish the sequence since everything was one, very long song. Psychologically, there was no sense of satisfaction for completing one song before moving onto the next; it just seemed like an unending process. I also used WAV rather than MP3, less problems.

What version of Mixmeister are you using? I use Fusion and can export directly to MP3. With Mixmeister, you could do a beat mix instead of a simple crossface. That would be pretty neat.

This being your first year, you might want to stick with individual songs. As stated above, sequencing is a daunting task, particularly for us new folk. You could always mix 2 songs to see how that works.

If you were to set the same timing for each and every song and not vary it by using the tapper wizard to insert new time events (I would use 0.05 seconds), you could do many things with your sequence:

1. You could sequence each song individually (if you use the same default as explained above) and cut and paste each sequence into the segment of you master sequence.

This way, if you wanted to edit the song, add an announcement, etc, you could "cut and paste" as required.

2. After mixing your final sequence, you would only have to reprogram the transitional fades.

I agree with everyone above. they are so right. i start a couple of sequences, after a day or two I'll get stuck on one song. continue on the second sequence than later go back to the first sequence a couple of days later. and before I get tired of listening to the same song.

hope that make sence

Randy,

Good insight! I think I Will rip wav format. No reason to ask for problems. There will be lots of little problems along the way. I think one or two of the songs I will crossfade and the rest I will leave cold. I have a total of ten songs. Five per set. Set A will play at the top of the hour and B at the bottom. If I run into problems I can shorten my show if there are not crossfaded.

I lived in Redondo Beach about 100 miles north of you. Moved, cost to much to buy a house.

Thanks again for the help. Ralph

Thank you Denny!

As you can see from above, I will take your advice. I can see where this can get really frustrating. A sence of accomplishment is important. Also your way is much more flexible. By the way what is the demented Elf?

Thanks Ralph

Hi Ralph,

Glad to help. We just finished our second year of having an LOR display, and I've learned so much.

Probably the biggest thing in relation to your comments above is that as a beginner I think you will find it difficult to sequence a full 10 songs for your first year. I'm not sure how many channels you're talking about trying to get off the ground, but the more channels the more time it will take for you to sequence...I was still building decorations in the summer and found it hard to spend much time sequencing when I was in "full build" mode.

Another small mistake I made the first year was with song order and frequency. I had a couple of songs that I thought were better sequences, so I played them more often than others. So in a 30 minute timeframe I played those favorites a few times and some songs only once. What happened was that people heard my favorite song(s) repeat and then they left, thinking they'd heard everything.

So last year, I made a playlist where everything played once and then the whole thing repeated. I had 30 minutes of unique material with songs and announcements. There were time when traffic got a little bit heavy, but it all worked out by having a 30 minute show. Some people didn't want to stay 30 minutes, and they left anyways....But those that wanted to watch the whole thing could do so....

Best of luck to you.....Randy

Hey iresq,

Sounds like you have been a DJ like me! I am currently using Mixmeister Express, but I have Fusion +Video that I used in the club. I will do my songs individually for the first year, except for the intro which I will mix to the first song. Thanks for your input!!

Ralph

Hey Dale W,

Ok, you know this software well. I am going to keep your suggestions in mind, and do my timming in .05 and if I have time I will play with the mixes and see what happens.

Thanks

Evana,

Thanks for confirming the above. And yes it makes a lot of sence. I'll start my sequencing in about one week and we will see what happens. thanks for the help!

Ralph

Ralph A wrote:

Thank you Denny!

As you can see from above, I will take your advice. I can see where this can get really frustrating. A sence of accomplishment is important. Also your way is much more flexible. By the way what is the demented Elf?

Thanks Ralph

The demented elf does excellent, customized voiceovers for many members on here and the Planet Christmas forums. His prices are extremely reasonable too. His website is at http://www.thedementedelf.com/Voice%20For%20Hire.htm

I use Acid and Soudforge to edit my music and love it. I have been using it for many years as well as Wavelab. Mixmeister is really just good for mixxing from song to song and not so much for ediiting.

What I am going to do and track them seperately them mix them down to one track with my voiceovers in between. I have done 3 songs already this way it has it's benifits. It is a little more work but for what I am doing I need the show to be mixed together as part of what I am doing.

Others also mention having different play lists on different nights. I'm sure that is for people with too many songs. Not for a newbie like me for sure. Although, the more people share, the easier it is to have additional songs.

When I have some original stuff, I'll share what I create.

Enjoy and welcome.